Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2018/11/05 16:01:06 UTC

[VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Hi,

uimaj-2.10.3 rc2 is posted and ready for voting.

The issues fixed are here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/UIMA/versions/12342083

Major changes are:
-----------------
The minimum Java version was changed from 7 to 8.
The code and the build was adjusted to work ok using both Java 8 and Java 11.
The class loading when using the UIMA Class Loader was modified to include using
the Thread's Context Class Loader (if set).  Fix included in rc2 to make it behave
in a backwards compatible fashion.
Fixed some edge case performance issues were fixed.
Fixed PEAR installation to no longer lock files.
Pear Specifier parameters now passed to the wrapped Analysis Engine.
Implemented a destroy() method for ResourceManager which closes its UIMAClassLoader.

The source and binary tar/zips are here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uimaj/2.10.3-rc2/artifacts/

The eclipse update subsite is here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uimaj/2.10.3-rc2/uima/

The maven staging repo is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1203/

SVN tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.10.3/

Known issue: It appears the Eclipse update site "publish" utility adds .sha1 and .md5 signatures; this might be needed by the Eclipse install-software facility, so I didn't remove them.

Built using the latest maven (version 3.6.0), and the latest uima-wide parent
pom (version 12).
Built using Java 8.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
+1.  I think in my horizon, users have (by now) migrated to Java 8 (if for
nothing else, for security updates). -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org>.
- Spot checked signatures - OK
- Checked README, LICENSE, NOTICE, RELEASE_NOTES.html - OK
- Build from source using Java 8 - OK
- Ran documentAnalyzer - OK
- Build trunk level uima-as - OK
- Ran runRemoteAsyncAE - OK
- Installed uima-core.jar from uima-2.10.3 into ducc runtime and run a job
- OK

[x] +1 OK to release

Jerry Cwiklik

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
built svn-tag - OK

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-2.10.3 rc2

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
signatures OK
(using Java 8)
ran document analyzer from bin package, viewed results- OK
installed into eclipse 490 - ran configurator, made type system, ran JCasGen - OK
in Eclipse - imported examples folder from bin distr, ran documentAnalyzer,
viewed results- OK
compare source-release with tag - OK
 build from source - OK
no change to license/notices vs 2.10.2
api-change-reports: OK
issues-fixed report: OK

spot check licenses in staging repo: ok

Note: It appears the Eclipse update site "publish" utility adds .sha1 and .md5
signatures; this might be needed by the Eclipse install-software facility, so I
didn't remove them.

Note: artifacts put in staging repo have .sha1 and md5 checksums added, probably
by the "deploy" step?

At this point, I think this is pending resolution of various rules in the Apache
repo installation; I'm not planning to fix this (I think a fix would need to be
a manual process, and it might cause some failure further upstream.)

The artifacts in dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev ... do not have the sha1 and md5
checksums, but they do have the sha512 checksum "signed" by the gpg one (due to
pending rule fix in Apache repo installation).

[X] +1 OK to release

-Marshall