Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/02/11 01:32:40 UTC

FW: GSoC 2015 - very little interest so far

It appears that we can mark issues for improvements and such in our JIRA, using "gsoc2015" as a label, and ideas will be included in the compilation linked at the end of the attachment, below.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I'm not OK with the switching mentors business.  Corinthia doesn't have the depth to allow that.  I think that is inappropriate here regardless.

In any case, it is apparently a requirement that the mentor who creates the possible project be someone capable of carrying it out themselves, although the project definition is not a promise to do so.

 - Dennis

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, February 11, 2015, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> needed

> >> I would be happy to officiate as a mentor until such time as a "real"
> >> mentor (aka a savant) comes up. For instance, what sort of technical
> tasks
> >> are imagined as being wanted? And what would the mentor be doing? When
> we
> >> did this before, for OOo, the role of the mentor really depended hugely
> on
> >> the ambition and capability of the student.
> >>
> > The mentor is (as of GSoC definition) the person that drives the GSoC
> task,
> > and link the student(s) to the rest of hte project. The Mentor is
> expected
> > to be technically skilled and able to help the student with programming
> > decisions.
> >
> > I was not aware that OOo participated in GSoC ? please be aware that GSoC
> > expects more technical skills from the mentors, that you find in many
> > university projects. I am aware the AOO participated with jsc mentoring a
> > student in UNO, and I also remember jürgen telling how difficult it was
> for
> > him.
>
> OOo participated in several, including some of the earliest; this was
> before the War over Java (regarding validation and leading to the rise of
> Classpath). I oversaw this effort and participated in the Mountain View
> meetings with Juergen Schmidt, who was subordinate to my peer in Hamburg;
> both of us were in the engineering. I don’t recall if Juergen was a mentor
> at this time—around 2006?—or if it was not some other, more senior
> developer in Hamburg. However, what you write about Juergen’s experience is
> useful to know. (I also rather pity him for mentoring a student on UNO.
> Wouldn’t you?) (Regarding the other times, I think we did it twice, with
> Google. Then we also had a rather successful program within OOo funded by
> Sun for a couple of years, and that produced some good work and advanced
> the program in accessibility (DAISY) and elsewhere. This work was all very
> technical and supervised by advanced advanced developers. But not all were
> with Sun; for the DAISY project, we had outside contributors supervise the
> development of the module. Perhaps something like that can be done here.)
>

> Back then, I did little with actual mentoring. My goal *then* (not now)
> was basically to induce (poach?) developers.
> >
> > I am all for that we submit GSoC proposals, but whoever sign up as
> mentor,
> > should be prepared for the technical challenge....of course we can also
> > define projects (like I did for VALs) that require less programming
> skills,
> > but programming is mandatory for GSoC.
>
> Yes. I understand you, Jan. Here is what I proposed. If there is a
> deadline issue, the mentor initially put forth could be switched out for
> someone else more capable to taken on the task. This is a classic tactic

the deadline issue is that proposals with mentors need to be done before
fe. 13th 19:00utc. Switching mentor should be possible, but at least I
cannot do the actual mentor work, as I expect to be heavely involved in
getting changes implemented in AOO.

Rgds
jan i

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 11 February 2015 at 19:34, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
 -- replying below to --

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 11-02-2015, at 12:17, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> Side question: Is it premature to have Corinthia tasks in GSoC 2015?

no

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.