Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com> on 2003/11/07 19:27:47 UTC

[merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

In the past I had been using the binary distribution of merlin with no
problems. This morning
I tried the cvs download route and Maven is not happy.
I got the following npe when I did
maven merlin:dist

java.lang.NullPointerException
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.attainGoals(PluginManager.java:
430)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.attainGoals(MavenSession.java:348)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:543)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1109)
         at
a:39)
         at
Impl.java:25)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)
Total time: 2 seconds

1) I saw no project.xml files
2) I saw no merlin pluggins
3) did a grep -r for merlin:dist and got nothing back

Any idea's as to what I missed. I'm sure it's something stupid.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.
Currently it is set to tcsh which is the osx default.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Alex Karasulu wrote:

>I think I hate environment properties now.

*LOL*

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 09 November 2003 17:21, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > Sorry, my e-mail has been down since friday evening. Where
> > are we here. Which stuff have you already resolved :-). What stuff
> > can I look into for you or test?
> > Cheers,
> > Steve
>
> Ok Steve just educate me a little on OS X by answering these questions:

Let me guess meanwhile...

> 1). OS X is a version of UNIX if I remember correctly but
> it does not have an /etc/passwd file right?

Built in on FreeBSD, since there are no GPL attached to it.
And I would be surprised if there is no /etc/passwd, it has been around for
~25 years.

> 2). Several different shells can run on OS X right? Bash,
> Ksh, sh, csh et. Cetera right?

Sure.

> 3). If 1 & 2 are correct how do I find the default shell used by
> the user on login?  Is there a command I can spawn to get this
> value?

The environment variable SHELL is supposed to be the running shell, but I'm
not entirely sure that it is the user default shell, the top login shell or
the last invoked (bottom) shell.
In Linux it seems to be prefered shell, but could be different elsewhere.

Niclas

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.
1)Yes, Darwin is an open source unix that sits underneath OS X and it
is BSD Based but
by default there is no /etc/passwd file (although you can create won
using nidump.

2 & 3)Pretty much all of the unix shells work on it but the default is
tcsh which
you can find in the env variable SHELL or by using nidump (probably
better)

  nidump passwd /

the above command will return all the information that would be in a
/etc/passwd file in the
proper format of an etc passwd file.

In general, a good place to find things out about os x is to go to
macosxhints.com
in case your curious.

Cheers,
Steve

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> > Another OS X issue is that in OS X /etc/passwd is not the system of
> > record.
>

> That's ok - what we can do is to update Env.java to do whatever is
> needed that is specific to the OS X platform.
>

> > I can work around this by forcing it's update via "nidump passwd / >
> > /etc/passwd"
> > but I'm not sure what the standard way of dealing with this
> > incompatibility is.
>

> Alex should be around soon - it will be simpler to ask him what we need
> to resolve. Basically the problem is occuring under the
> getUnixUserShell() operation - it appears that we need to do som special
> handling for OS X.

Ok what is the command to find out the default shell used by a user in your
OS based on the user's name?

This will tell me the shell to run to check environment parameters in.  You
see the think that absolutely sucks about this thankless piece of code is
that the environment can be different because users can have different
shells in UNIX.  The property you're looking for in the environment may not
be available.  So the strategy I used was to check in the user's default
environment hence the need to peek into the /etc/passwd file to get the
user's shell executable path.

Now I also need to know about your shells.  I shall unless told otherwise
presume that OS X is a UNIX variant and that it has shells like sh, ksh, csh
and bash.

Alex

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Steven Harris wrote:

> Another OS X issue is that in OS X /etc/passwd is not the system of
> record.

That's ok - what we can do is to update Env.java to do whatever is
needed that is specific to the OS X platform.

> I can work around this by forcing it's update via "nidump passwd / >
> /etc/passwd"
> but I'm not sure what the standard way of dealing with this
> incompatibility is.

Alex should be around soon - it will be simpler to ask him what we need
to resolve. Basically the problem is occuring under the
getUnixUserShell() operation - it appears that we need to do som special
handling for OS X.

Stephen.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Steven Harris wrote:

> Now that sounds like a good idea :-)

:-)

Just pragmatic !

Stephen.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Alexis Agahi wrote:

>BTW, stephen, I guess it is an NFS prob as the server seems still alive ;)

Its back!
Steve.

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.
On Friday 07 November 2003 21:10, Steven Harris wrote:
> My MAVEN_HOME is set to /Library/Maven which is where I put it.

ok

> I'm sorry, I don't know what a dpml is :-)

oops it was addressed to stephen

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Alexis Agahi wrote:

>On Friday 07 November 2003 20:52, Steven Harris wrote:
>

>>It might be relevant that I work on OS X?
>>

>I thought it was NeXTSTEP. ;)
>
>could you perform a
>set | grep MAVEN
>
>in command line? (just list all MAVEN env variable you have set)
>

>Steve is there something wrong with dpml?

Looks like ibiblio is out of action!
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven is dead - at least the web sever is not
responding.
I've just posted a query.

Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Steven Harris wrote:

> My MAVEN_HOME is set to /Library/Maven which is where I put it.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't know what a dpml is :-)

The DPML is the Digial Product Meta Library - specifically established
to test and validate avalon repository and back-end service management
technologies.  The DPML is located on the Ibiblio server and is
basically reflecting a combination of the maven repository plus some
merlin specific meta content.  Merlin defaults to requesting resouces
from DPML with a fallback on the Maven Ibiblio repository when resolving
artifact requests.  Requests that pass though the DPML contribute to
statistic capatured relative to artifact usage.  In the future I'm
looking forward to DPML providing dynamically generated deployment
descriptors based on service requests, remote service references, and
generalized service registration and discovery facilities.

Stephen.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Steven Harris wrote:

>  v. 1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT

Is this 1.0 RC1 binary distribution or CVS build?
I use the beta 10 binary distribution. I have also tested the RC1 binary
whcih builds things ok - but the site generation is problamatic due to
some changes to stylesheets and updates to the actual content generation.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
You should get an error saying it's not supported.

Alex

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.
On Friday 07 November 2003 21:08, Steven Harris wrote:
> I'm running on a fully patched version of panther Apple's OS 10.3

just add "Mac OS X" (if dont want to wait steve commit)
in

./util/env/src/java/org/apache/avalon/util/env/Env.java
line 640

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Steven Harris wrote:

>Failed to access PAT environment variable - Unrecognized operating system: Mac OS X

OK - problem identitied.
The Enc class does not include "Mac OS X" as a recognized OS.
I've just updated the Env class - could you update from CVS and try again?
Stephen.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Ok sorry for this one.  I'm totally responsible.  Excuse the delay too I
have been going to stacks of email today and have just gotten to this one.

Env does not support MacOS!  I don't have a Mac available to do that on.
Maybe I should read more of this trail before responding.

1). If this is OS X then you have an /etc/passwd right?

2). Does it follow a convention where the last component of an /etc/passwd
entry is the Shell used?

If all this is true and the usual shells are available with the -t option to
execute a single command then I can make the changes to support Darwin.

Oh and another thing is I need to know the os.name property value for your
OS which I presume is Darwin.  Where is the cutoff for when it was a NON
UNIX OS?

> >> And now the interesting one:

Excuse the ignorance where MacOs is concerned - I have never even used a
Mac.

Alex

Re: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.
  v. 1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.
Got a few more smaller errors. In the meta directory I got:

xdoc:jelly-transform:
     [echo] Generating
/Users/steve/avalon/meta/site/target/docs/changelog-report.html from
/Users/steve/avalon/meta/site/target/generated-xdocs/changelog-
report.xml

BUILD FAILED
File...... file:/Users/steve/avalon/meta/
Element... maven:reactor
Line...... 109
Column.... 31
Unable to obtain goal [site] --
file:/Users/steve/.maven/plugins/maven-xdoc-plugin-1.4/:333:54:
<j:include> could not include jelly script:
file://Users/steve/avalon/meta/site/etc/site.jsl. Reason:
org.apache.commons.jelly.JellyException: null:-1:-1: <null> Could not
parse Jelly script
Total time: 1 minutes 31 seconds
Finished at: Fri Nov 07 11:17:01 PST 2003

and in the merlin dir I got:

test:test:
     [junit] dir attribute ignored if running in the same VM
     [junit] Running org.apache.avalon.util.env.EnvTest
     [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Time elapsed: 0.049
sec
     [junit] [ERROR] TEST org.apache.avalon.util.env.EnvTest FAILED

BUILD FAILED
File...... file:/Users/steve/avalon/merlin/
Element... maven:reactor
Line...... 76
Column.... 32
Unable to obtain goal [test:test] --
file:/Users/steve/.maven/plugins/maven-test-plugin-1.4/:130:54: <fail>
There were test failures.
Total time: 30 seconds
Finished at: Fri Nov 07 11:22:31 PST 2003

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Harris <st...@kenamea.com>.