Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Angelina Talley <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/03 23:27:56 UTC

rolling the console log

Hello! We are running Tomcat 5.0 in a production environment (so
upgrading isn't an option) and have encountered an issue where our
console log is getting to be quite large (on the order of gigabytes).
Is there any way via Tomcat configuration to set this log up to roll
daily? Ideally of course we'd fix the code to not print so much, but
that's not an option either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: rolling the console log

Posted by Angelina Talley <an...@gmail.com>.
Sadly, we're not running Apache. Just Tomcat standalone.

Re: rolling the console log

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Re: rolling the console log

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Angelina Talley wrote:
> Ideally, it would be. But, I neglected to mention we're running on
> Windows Server. That's the other reason I am looking for a
> configuration option.

Assuming it is webapp use of System.out that is the problem you could
configure swallowOutput="true" for the context - this will redirect stdout
and stderr to the context log rather than catalina.out

On 5.0.x the context log should rollover daily and you can run a scheduled
task to delete the old ones.

Mark

Re: rolling the console log

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
> Ideally, it would be. But, I neglected to mention we're running on
> Windows Server.

Yes you did.

>That's the other reason I am looking for a
> configuration option.

I don't know of one but this might work for you

http://www.datori.org/?p=7

Re: rolling the console log

Posted by Angelina Talley <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: rolling the console log