Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Karen Menz <do...@yahoo.com> on 2014/02/03 16:41:43 UTC

Meaning/Semantic question

Hi,
  I need some help to understand the meaning/semantic of
the following script:

    <owl:Class rdf:about="Class_1">
        <rdfs:subClassOf>
            <owl:Restriction>
                <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="prop_1"/>
                <owl:someValuesFrom>
                    <owl:Restriction>
                        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#prop_2"/>
                        <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#Class_2"/>
                    </owl:Restriction>
                </owl:someValuesFrom>
            </owl:Restriction>
        </rdfs:subClassOf>
   </owl:Class>

I also
wonder if there's any other way to simplify it.

Thanks in
advance,

Karen

Re: Meaning/Semantic question

Posted by Karen Menz <do...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks a lot all for your help.

Karen

On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:15 PM, Adrian Walker <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Karen and all,

Here's how to write this example in Executable English:

*some-person ate dish some-number*
*not : dish that-number has a non-vegetarian ingredient*
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*that-person ate at least one dish that only had vegetable ingredients*

*dish some-number has some-ingredient*
*not : that-ingredient is vegetarian*
*dish that-number has a non-vegetarian ingredient*

*this-person ate dish this-number*
*=======================*
*  Fred                   1*
*  Jane                   2*

*dish this-number has this-ingredient*
*==========================*
*      1                beef*
*      1                lettuce*
*      2                carrot*
*      2                lettuce*

*this-ingredient is vegetarian*
*====================*
* lettuce*
* carrot*

You can view run and change this example (and get explanations of answers)
by browsing to www.reengineeringllc.com and choosing Vegetarian1.

HTH,   -- Adrian

xxxx

Posted by Adrian Walker <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karen and all,

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Vanel <je...@gmail.com>.
In such cases , I give the OWL to ATTEMPTO plugin in Protégé [1]
which verbalizes it thus :

Every Class_1 prop_1s something
    that prop_2s nothing but Class_2s .

Knowing that Class names become nouns , and properties become verbs,
a more human readable form is:

Every instance of Class_1 has a value V of prop_1 such that
for V every value of prop_2 is in  Class_2s .

Seeing this , it seems that no simplification can be found.

[1] http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Déductions SARL - Consulting, services, training,