Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@pccc.com> on 2021/04/30 19:03:53 UTC

[users@httpd] DNFTEC was Re: [users@httpd] Professional Product

I will quote myself on how best I recommend to deal with it:*
*

*DNFTEC* - This acronym goes all the way back to 1996. Its the original
"don't feed the trolls." DNFTEC stands for 'don't feed the energy
creatures' and a great description of what/who these are can be found here:

http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=6284
<http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=6284>

"There is a certain type of being that's all too common in the online
world. I call them "Energy Creatures," a term I first heard on one of
the commercial services. Energy Creatures are a bizarre lifeform which
grow and feed off of the negative energy generated by others.

Energy Creatures' favorite feeding tactic is to try to hurt people's
feelings or get them angry. Then they can feed off the pain and anger
they've generated. Their second favorite tactic is to hurt one person or
group's feelings while gathering the sympathy of others. That way, when
the injured party lashes back, others will jump to the Energy Creature's
defense. Then the Energy Creature need do nothing except feed off the
attention and the negative energy generated by the people fighting."

While energy creatures are normally thought to frequent the various
forums around the internet, the same term can be applied to spam
mailers. Its more common today to find that spammers are actually
members of organized crime around the world or are hackers with large
robotic networks of hijacked computers called botnets. These fall under
the DNFTEC acronym because they are trying to steal your money, personal
information, contact information, of all of the above. PCCC highly
recommends that users just mark the spam mail as such and move on. Do
not hit the 'click here to be removed from our list' link since most of
the time those just confirm to the spammers which e-mails addresses are
actually live.

--

	*Kevin A. McGrail*
/CEO Emeritus/

	10311 Cascade Lane, Fairfax, Virginia 22032-2357 USA