Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/14 08:31:50 UTC

Spark JIRA Report

What do y’all think of a report like this emailed out to the dev list on a
monthly basis?

The goal would be to increase visibility into our open issues and encourage
developers to tend to our issue tracker more frequently.

Nick

There are 1,236 unresolved issues
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+%3D+SPARK+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+updated+DESC>
in the Spark project on JIRA.
Recently Updated Issues
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC>
Type Key Priority Summary Last Updated   Bug SPARK-4841
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4841> Major Batch serializer
bug in PySpark’s RDD.zip Dec 14, 2014  Question SPARK-4810
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4810> Major Failed to run
collect Dec 14, 2014  Bug SPARK-785
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-785> Major ClosureCleaner not
invoked on most PairRDDFunctions Dec 14, 2014  New Feature SPARK-3405
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3405> Minor EC2 cluster
creation on VPC Dec 13, 2014  Improvement SPARK-1555
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1555> Minor enable
ec2/spark_ec2.py to stop/delete cluster non-interactively Dec 13, 2014   Stale
Issues
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20updated%20%3C%3D%20-90d%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20ASC>
Type Key Priority Summary Last Updated   Bug SPARK-560
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-560> None Specialize RDDs /
iterators Oct 22, 2012  New Feature SPARK-540
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-540> None Add API to customize
in-memory representation of RDDs Oct 22, 2012  Improvement SPARK-573
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-573> None Clarify semantics of
the parallelized closures Oct 22, 2012  New Feature SPARK-609
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-609> Minor Add instructions
for enabling Akka debug logging Nov 06, 2012  New Feature SPARK-636
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-636> Major Add mechanism to
run system management/configuration tasks on all workers Dec 17, 2012   Most
Watched Issues
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20watchers%20DESC>
Type Key Priority Summary Watchers   New Feature SPARK-3561
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3561> Major Allow for
pluggable execution contexts in Spark 75  New Feature SPARK-2365
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2365> Major Add IndexedRDD, an
efficient updatable key-value store 33  Improvement SPARK-2044
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2044> Major Pluggable
interface for shuffles 30  New Feature SPARK-1405
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1405> Critical parallel Latent
Dirichlet Allocation (LDA) atop of spark in MLlib 26  New Feature SPARK-1406
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1406> Major PMML model
evaluation support via MLib 21   Most Voted Issues
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20votes%20DESC>
Type Key Priority Summary Votes   Bug SPARK-2541
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2541> Major Standalone mode
can’t access secure HDFS anymore 12  New Feature SPARK-2365
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2365> Major Add IndexedRDD, an
efficient updatable key-value store 9  Improvement SPARK-3533
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3533> Major Add
saveAsTextFileByKey() method to RDDs 8  Bug SPARK-2883
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2883> Blocker Spark Support
for ORCFile format 6  New Feature SPARK-1442
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-1442> Major Add Window
function support 6
​

Re: Fwd: Spark JIRA Report

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
Slightly off-topic, but or helping to clear the PR review backlog, I have a proposal to add some “PR lifecycle” tools to spark-prs.appspot.com to make it easier to track which PRs are blocked on reviewers vs. authors: https://github.com/databricks/spark-pr-dashboard/pull/39

On December 18, 2014 at 2:01:31 PM, Sean Owen (sowen@cloudera.com) wrote:

In practice, most issues with no activity for, say, 6+ months are
dead. There's down-side in believing they will eventually get done by
somebody, since they almost always don't.

Most is clutter, but if there are important bugs among them, then the
fact they're idling is a different problem: too much demand / not
enough supply of attention, not saying 'no' to enough, fast enough,
and so on.

Sure you can prompt people to at least ping an issue they care about
once every 6 months to keep it alive. Which is essentially the same
as: Resolve and invite anyone who cares to Reopen. If nobody bothers,
can it be important? If the problem is, well, nobody would really be
paying attention to the prompts, that's this different problem again.

So: I think the auto-Resolve idea, or an email blast, is at best a
forcing mechanism to pay attention to a more fundamental issue. I
myself am less interested in that than working on the causes of
long-lived important stuff in a JIRA backlog.

You can see regular process progress like auto-closing PRs,
spark-prs.appspot.com, some big passes at closing stale issues. It's
still my impression that the bulk of existing JIRA does not get
reviewed, so there's more to do. For example, from a recent tour
through the JIRA list, there were ~50 that were even definitively
resolved, and not marked as such. It's not for lack of excellent
effort. The pace of good change outstrips any other project I've seen
by a wide margin, dwarfed only by unprecedented inbound load.

I'd rather the conversation be about more attacks on the supply/demand
problem, like adding committers to offload resolution of the easy and
clear changes more rapidly, docs or tools to help contributors make
better PRs/JIRAs in the first place, stating what is in and out of
scope upfront to direct efforts, and so on. That's a different
discussion from this one though.

Fwd: Spark JIRA Report

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Spark JIRA Report