Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Luke Flesch <lu...@yale.edu> on 2000/11/20 01:58:27 UTC

Error in HTML Doctype Statement

	I've been using Cocoon and the W3C Validation Service in an
attempt to create a valid XHTML document.  I have managed to get Cocoon to
output Transitional XHTML that is valid with but one error (in the first
line):

The invalid statement is:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
		"DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

The valid statement would read:

		"DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

The word 'html' must not be capitalized.  As far as I can tell, I cannot
modify this text using the cocoon.properties file.
	Interestingly, I checked whether a Strict HTML document can use
the lower-case form.  According to the validator, it can.  You can check
that the following is a valid document:

		"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd" >
<head>
<title>Blah</title>
</head>
	Results Page

As a side note, Saxon gets this right and outputs 'html'.
	Thus, I believe the problem can be fixed simply by changing the
hard-coded Cocoon default from 'HTML' to 'html'.
	If I have overlooked some critical piece, I apologize.  I am very
new to Cocoon and the XML language family.

-Luke Flesch