Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com> on 2016/09/14 20:13:53 UTC

Where to put shared, test-only BE code?

Hi all,

I'm working on benchmarks for the SimpleScheduler and want to reuse the
helper classes in simple-scheduler-test.cc for this. To do so, I'm going to
factor them into their own files, which could be called
simple-scheduler-test-util.{h,cc}.

Where should those files live? And into which library should they be linked
in the cmake configs?

Thanks for the help, Lars

Re: Where to put shared, test-only BE code?

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
I think under either scheduler/ or testutil/ makes sense to me. I've seen
both - e.g. test-env.cc in runtime, or the various files in testutil.
Putting it under testutil/ seems a little cleaner to me.

I think we should just stick to linking each file into the main library for
its subdirectory, i.e. Scheduler or TestUtil. If the test utility code
isn't referenced from actual Impalad code it generally shouldn't be linked
into the final impalad binary.