Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by eric b <er...@free.fr> on 2011/06/15 08:22:17 UTC

#ooo-dev IRC channel registration

Hi,

For the record, I registered #ooo-dev channel ( server :
irc.freenode.net ), and sent the password to Greg Stein.
Just in case, I either set some flags (guard, secure, topic) "on".
If this channel is really unneeded, just tell me, and I'll drop it.

Thanks,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Education Project:

Re: #ooo-dev IRC channel registration

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 15 juin 11 à 10:24, Greg Stein a écrit :

> It's better to grab it, and not need it... than to want it and not
> get it :-)

exactly :)

> All good. Now we just see how the community wants to organize.
>
> (I tend to fear using the old channel, if the TDF/LO folks are
> using it for their work)

That's not normal TDF/LO people using this channel for their work,
and will lead to confusion.
In one word, LibreOffice is not OpenOffice.org, and we must care.

I appears obvious that we should stick with the old one now (but
that's a good thing we control the new channel too)

Regards,
Eric Bachard

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> I would much prefer to use the mailing lists only.
> IRCs have the tendency to continuously exclude those people who are working
> in a different time zone and also those that are not always online.

Somebody wise once said: if it didn't happen on list, it didn't
happen. (I think it was Ron Fielding)

IRCers must make sure that there is no decision making on the IRC
channel. Decision must happen on list.
Some other projects (I heard) make some important chat protocols
public, ooo-dev could past chats to issues or as attachments to votes.

Anyway, I am not a huge fan of using IRC for the reasons Ingrid
mentioned. But sometimes it really helps and if we make sure nobody is
excluded by default, I guess it is fine

Re: #ooo-dev IRC channel registration

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Am 15.06.2011 11:35, schrieb eric b:
> Le 15 juin 11 à 11:26, IngridvdM a écrit :
>> Am 15.06.2011 10:24, schrieb Greg Stein:
>>> All good. Now we just see how the community wants to organize.
>>
>> I would much prefer to use the mailing lists only.
>> IRCs have the tendency to continuously exclude those people who are
>> working in a different time zone and also those that are not always
>> online.
>
> That's true about the time zone, but I'd better consider IRC as another
> tool. IRC is in fact a complementary tool. More precisely we got :
>
> Mail : asynchroous, not localized
> IRC : synchronous, not localized
>
> Makes obvious both are different tools, and IRC is an important one too.
>
> e.g.Education Project used to propose ClassRooms (providing the logs to
> the -for whatever reason- excluded people), and this wouldn"t never be
> possible using mail.
>
> But that's not all, IRC allows to make meetings, or even debug, and work
> on the code .. and so on :)

E-Mail is so fast that it can be easily used as synchronous medium too.
I have often debugged and worked on code via mail, that works very well.
Meetings could be set up as a mail thread as well. I would guess that
even a class room thread would be possible.
The advantage of mail is that one can much more easy reconnect to the
discussion. Simply hit reply on the interesting topic. Whereas with a
provided IRC chat log, one has to copy/paste the right text portion from
somewhere to somewhere and mark it as a reference. The reader needs to
read all that text to identify to which topic this entry belongs to.
Mail threads in contrast do preserve the line of discussion inherently nice.

Ingrid

Re: #ooo-dev IRC channel registration

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Greg Stein wrote:
> It's better to grab it, and not need it... than to want it and not get it :-)
>
> All good. Now we just see how the community wants to organize.
>
> (I tend to fear using the old channel, if the TDF/LO folks are using
> it for their work)

The LO devs have their own channel  #libreoffice .

Andy

Re: #ooo-dev IRC channel registration

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.