Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> on 2018/12/02 21:48:17 UTC

Help with CAS Module Regression

Okay, banging my head against the wall here trying to figure out what's
going on with the CAS module.  At this point the redirect doesn't work at
all - the CAS module just sits on the screen with the non-translated
message:

{{ 'LOGIN.INFO_CAS_REDIRECT_PENDING' | translate }}

and never redirects.  In the JS console I get the following:

Failed to retrieve field with type "GUAC_CAS_TICKET"

Any ideas what might be going on here?  I've looked at the various parts of
the CAS module, particularly the AngularJS stuff, and compared to OpenID to
see what differences might be there, and can't see anything obvious.  I'm
sure it's something simple/stupid, but I need another set of eyes on it.
Also, has the OpenID module been tested recently to make sure it works?  I
don't think I have an OpenID provider I can test against, else I would do
it myself...

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.  I don't see
anything obviously wrong in the catalina.out file, so figure it's something
AngularJS-based that's going on.

-Nick

Re: Help with CAS Module Regression

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 3:57 PM Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:51 AM Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:49 AM Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Did this error occur in 0.9.14?
>>>
>>> If this is breaking things, and did not occur when CAS support was
>>> initially released, I'd suggest a git bisect to narrow down when it
>>> started.
>>>

>> I believe everything worked fine in 0.9.14, and that something in the
>> changes between there and staging/1.0.0 has broken things.  I'll work on a
>> git bisect of the changes and see if I can track it down.
>>

> Looks like the change to AngularJS 1.6.9 broke something:

b3eeb36b8726211597bdc921a632dbbc5c87ee16 is the first bad commit
commit b3eeb36b8726211597bdc921a632dbbc5c87ee16
Author: James Muehlner <ja...@guac-dev.org>
Date:   Wed Apr 25 22:25:02 2018 -0700

    GUACAMOLE-526: Update webapp to angular 1.6.9.

:040000 040000 461bb123891a0c463bd1fbf8c84fbd3070633d09
11d67328a11952849a126e88fb68e6895d5f92b0 M guacamole

Re: Help with CAS Module Regression

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay, banging my head against the wall here trying to figure out what's
> going on with the CAS module.  At this point the redirect doesn't work at
> all - the CAS module just sits on the screen with the non-translated
> message:
>
> {{ 'LOGIN.INFO_CAS_REDIRECT_PENDING' | translate }}
>
> and never redirects.  In the JS console I get the following:
>
> Failed to retrieve field with type "GUAC_CAS_TICKET"

That specific message will occur if a custom field type cannot be used:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/blob/fc457c080d813044e30e1f4e8fe855d6a5900259/guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/form/directives/formField.js#L152

That's just a generic "catch", though. If an exception occurs
somewhere within the promise handling (due to something now being
broken in our handling of custom fields?), you could see the same
result, despite the field type being correctly registered. If this is
the case, other things that use custom fields like Duo or TOTP may
also not work as expected. Worth rechecking.

> Any ideas what might be going on here?  I've looked at the various parts of
> the CAS module, particularly the AngularJS stuff, and compared to OpenID to
> see what differences might be there, and can't see anything obvious.  I'm
> sure it's something simple/stupid, but I need another set of eyes on it.
> Also, has the OpenID module been tested recently to make sure it works?  I
> don't think I have an OpenID provider I can test against, else I would do
> it myself...

I have a test deployment which uses OpenID against Google - I'll recheck.

> Let me know if I can provide any additional information.  I don't see
> anything obviously wrong in the catalina.out file, so figure it's something
> AngularJS-based that's going on.

Did this error occur in 0.9.14?

If this is breaking things, and did not occur when CAS support was
initially released, I'd suggest a git bisect to narrow down when it
started.

- Mike