Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Tzaperas <ni...@aquameta.com> on 2010/10/29 01:29:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Failed downloads

Hi,

I've been investigating a problem with our proxy failing on large
downloads.  We have an Apache proxy setup in a datacenter that
forwards requests to another Apache server in another datacenter.  Any
download initiated from a machine through the proxy or from the proxy
server itself directly to the main Apache server will fail about half
the time.  Any download initiated directly to the main server from
anywhere that's not the proxy server will work every time.

I've taken tcpdumps on my client, on the proxy and on the server
behind the proxy.  It seems that the server behind the proxy initiates
a TCP RST which causes the download to fail.  When the download fails,
it's usually very early on in the download.  Within a few seconds.

I have no idea why the main Apache server would send a RST.  I have
the tcpdump files and apache config files available upon request.  The
configs are pretty standard.  <Proxy> and ProxyPass.  For the main
server, the files that are failing are PDFs being served through
<Directory> and Alias.  Everything else is default KeepAlive,
timeouts, etc.  I played with proxy-initial-not-pooled, but it didn't
change anything.

I appreciate any guidance on this issue.

Cheers,
Nick