Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2021/03/31 22:03:11 UTC

EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Is it time to consider EOL of branch-1 and all 1.x releases ?

There doesn't seem to be much developer interest in branch-1 beyond
occasional maintenance. This is understandable. Per our compatibility
guidelines, branch-1 commits must be compatible with Java 7, and the range
of acceptable versions of third party dependencies is also restricted due
to Java 7 compatibility requirements. Most developers are writing code with
Java 8+ idioms these days. For that reason and because the branch-1 code
base is generally aged at this point, all but trivial (or lucky!) backports
require substantial changes in order to integrate adequately. Let me also
observe that branch-1 artifacts are not fully compatible with Java 11 or
later. (The shell is a good example of such issues: The version of
jruby-complete required by branch-1 is not compatible with Java 11 and
upgrading to the version used by branch-2 causes shell commands to error
out due to Ruby language changes.)

We can a priori determine there is insufficient motivation for production
of release artifacts for the PMC to vote upon. Otherwise, someone would
have done it. We had 12 releases from branch-2 derived code in 2019, 13
releases from branch-2 derived code in 2020, and so far we have had 3
releases from branch-2 derived code in 2021. In contrast, we had 8 releases
from branch-1 derived code in 2019, 0 releases from branch-1 in 2020, and
so far 0 releases from branch-1 in 2021.

*  2021202020191.x0282.x31312*

If there is someone interested in continuing branch-1, now is the time to
commit. However let me be clear that simply expressing an abstract desire
to see continued branch-1 releases will not be that useful. It will be
noted, but will not have much real world impact. Apache is a do-ocracy. In
the absence of intrinsic motivation of project participants, which is what
we seem to have here, you will need to do something: Fix the compatibility
issues, if any between the last release of 1.x and the current branch-1
head; fix any failing and flaky unit tests; produce release artifacts; and
submit those artifacts to the PMC for voting. Or, convince someone with
commit rights and/or PMC membership to undertake these actions on your
behalf.

Otherwise, I respectfully submit for your consideration, it is time to
declare  branch-1 and all 1.x code lines EOL, simply acknowledging what has
effectively already happened.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 for EOL branch-1.4

Thanks for the works

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 for EOL branch-1.4

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 on EOL branch-1 and all 1.x.

Thanks Andrew for the write up.

Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@apache.org>于2021年4月1日 周四08:07写道:

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@apache.org>.
Agreed. +1 for EOL'ing.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hu...@gmail.com>.
> do you have a JIRA covering this change? What is your suggested
> remediation for branch-2 releases? Can/should we make the fix the default
> behavior, or is there good reason to keep us running in this “slow mode”
by
> default, require operators to opt-in to the perf boost?

The change of Rpc PriorityQueue scheduler
from FastPathBalancedQueueRpcExecutor to RWQueueRpcExecutor causes
meta scan throughput regression. This change is introduced by HBASE-22280,
I am about to follow up in HBASE-22280.
Could be a real production issue addressed by this change, not sure at this
moment.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Geoffrey Jacoby <gj...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Reid, for volunteering to RM 1.7.0.  If you would like some
assistance in stabilizing the tests and getting branch-1 into a
release-ready state, please let me know. I see the flaky list is pretty
long and I'm happy to take some JIRAs.

Geoffrey

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Also big +1 from me.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hu...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Pankaj Kumar <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.

回复: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by zheng wang <18...@qq.com>.
+1 on EOL.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
+1 on EOL.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
+1 on EOL.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
EOL of branch-1 doesn’t mean we take down the 1.6.0 release. It would be fine to leave that in place. That can be a separate, future, discussion, although if branch-1 becomes EOL its eventual removal would be certain. The question is really if we plan to maintain branch-1 going forward. Based on lack of interest and demand in releasing it, there does not seem reason to.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: EOL branch-1 and all 1.x ?

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@gmail.com>.