Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com> on 2017/03/22 20:43:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Merging Sentry HA branch with master

Hello,

I would like to start the discussion on merging sentry-ha-redesign branch
with master.

As of now most of the changes from master are merged into
sentry-ha-redesign. The major missing part is SENTRY-1205 (Refactor the
code for sentry-provider-db and create sentry-service module) and
associated issues. This refactoring is very hard to port, especially since
there is very little information in the JIRA on why it was done and how it
was done - was it merely moving files around or more then that. I would
seriously consider not including this change in 1.8.

So in regards to the merge we have several options:

   - Attempt to merge master into sentry-ha-redesign, resolve any conflicts
   and later commit the merge to master. This will cause merge commit on master
   - Finish work on sentry-ha-redesign, make sure that relevant commits are
   ported from master, and then making this a master branch and making current
   master a special branch left for reference purposes. This will likely leave
   SENTRY-1205 and related issues out.

What does community think about this?

- Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging Sentry HA branch with master

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Have you tried to contact the author of the patch for SENTRY-1205 to get
their opinion? If there are major conflicts between the two branches then I
think your proposal is ok for 1.8, as the new feature should take
precedence over a refactoring effort.

However, in future, I think it is not a good idea to maintain a branch for
active development that diverges so far from master, as it inevitably leads
to this kind of conflict.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging Sentry HA branch with master

Posted by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>.
Sergio,

thank you for clarifying the Hive version story.

Do we have any explicit policy about compatibility with other components and Hive specifically? Do we need to support older versions of Hive or supporting the current released Hive 1.x version is sufficient?

At least it seems that we need to address
SENTRY-1323 Bump the hive version to 1.2.0

to move forward.

- Alex

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.
I agree with Sergio but I'm not sure if current plan is to release HA
functionality.
If we plan to make it a release, we need to make sure sentry HA works with
one of the versions of Hive where

   1. Notification log  implementation has the functionality that sentry
   needs.
   2. Supports authorization V1.

-Kalyan

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging Sentry HA branch with master

Posted by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Hao Hao <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vamsee Yarlagadda <va...@cloudera.com>.

wrote:

> I would like to make a more concrete proposal and I am interested in
> opinion from Sentry PMC members on this.
>
> I would propose the following approach for merging Sentry HA into Sentry
> master:
>
> Cherry-pick any commits that happened since sentry-ha-redesign was forked,
> except a few described below
> Exclude big refactoring commit (SENTRY-1205) and related commits
> (SENTRY-1436, SENTRY-1438, SENTRY-1406)
> Rename master to a dev branch
> Rename sentry-ha-redesign to master
>
> What does community think about such approach?
>
> - Alex
>

> > On Mar 22, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to start the discussion on merging sentry-ha-redesign
> branch with master.
> >
> > As of now most of the changes from master are merged into
> sentry-ha-redesign. The major missing part is SENTRY-1205 (Refactor the
> code for sentry-provider-db and create sentry-service module) and
> associated issues. This refactoring is very hard to port, especially since
> there is very little information in the JIRA on why it was done and how it
> was done - was it merely moving files around or more then that. I would
> seriously consider not including this change in 1.8.
> >
> > So in regards to the merge we have several options:
> >
> > Attempt to merge master into sentry-ha-redesign, resolve any conflicts
> and later commit the merge to master. This will cause merge commit on master
> > Finish work on sentry-ha-redesign, make sure that relevant commits are
> ported from master, and then making this a master branch and making current
> master a special branch left for reference purposes. This will likely leave
> SENTRY-1205 and related issues out.
> > What does community think about this?
> >
> > - Alex

Vamsee

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging Sentry HA branch with master

Posted by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>.
> On Mar 22, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> The usual way we do this in other projects is the 1st option. We can create a new JIRA for the merge, then submit the patch with the conflicts resolved, wait for tests, then commit it.

The real question here is whether we allow merge commits or not for Sentry. It would be rather difficult do do without a merge commit.

> Although the 2nd option looks easier if we only missing one commit, but I think we should avoid it just in case we missed to port some commits from master to the branch.
>
> If you don't want to include SENTRY-1205, then just revert it from master, and then do the merge from sentry-ha-design to master. That would work.

At this point even everting SENTRY-1205 from master is quite non-trivial because many of the moved files also changed. That’s why I am bringing this up, otherwise it would be a clear deal.

- Sasha

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.