Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/28 17:50:56 UTC

[GSoC] Final student update

Dear Mentors,

Since the last update I sent Google has released an updated version of the
Android SDK. Unfortunately for my GSoC project such release came too late.
On a more positive note, I will continue helping Adriano with the porting
efforts. We have begun testing the new SDK with the Android trunk and can
hopefully see Tuscany running on Android soon.

The last tests performed as part of my GSoC project were to remove all
@Remotable annotations and to test calculator-android with a componentType
side file. Both of these initiatives failed because of the fact the previous
version of the Android SDK still choked when encountering any code with
annotations. As a new SDK was released I stopped further testing. Since then
I have updated the JIRA ticket I created, with the reduced set of modules
and changes that Adriano made to SCA code. Additionally, I updated my
project wiki to summarize all of the work performed throughout the project.

I have now started testing the new SDK and currently am running into
problems with trying to include a core library from a desktop
virtual machine into an Android application, this being
"javax/xml/namespace/QName$1.class". I will continue these efforts outside
the scope of GSoC.

Lastly, I would like to thank the Tuscany community; I received help from
several committers throughout the project, and of course, from my mentor
Adriano. I thank you all for your patience and continued support. Despite
the fact that the project wasn't a complete success I definitely learned a
lot and was able to explore my interests. I am now continuing my studies in
Computer Science and look forward to continue learning from and
collaborating on this project.

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Android port patches, was: A branch for the android port, was: [GSoC] Final student update

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Adriano Crestani wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> We weren't able to run successfully the calculator sample on the android
> platform yet. I copied the modules from the r643746 to the
> android-sandbox and started to modify and identify which parts of sca
> code will need to be modified to get sca runtime running on android
> platform. I think if we identify all the necessary modifications on
> r643746, they will be probably the same on the latest revision. So, in
> my opinion we could keep working on this revision, avoinding any problem
> while trying to "update" it to the latest revision. I really think it's
> up to Oscar. Lets wait for his response.
 >
> My modifications would not be compatible with the code on the android
> branch, I restarted my work on getting it working on a most recent
> revision. Lets wait for Oscar's patch and I will check which
> modifications I did could be applied to the branch code.

OK, I'm happy with r643746 or any other revision you prefer, switching
should be easy anyway.

If that helps, I have pretty powerful diff/patch tools on my Linux
system that can help us identify all the necessary mofications to
r643746. I can try to create the following diff patches:
a) the current android branch vs r643746
b) Oscar's changes vs r643746 (unless Oscar already has that)
c) a 3-way diff/patch of the above.

I can try that after work this evening.
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: A branch for the android port, was: [GSoC] Final student update

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Jean,

[...]

Regards,
Adriano Crestani

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Oscar,

Posted by Oscar Castaneda <os...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda

Re: A branch for the android port, was: [GSoC] Final student update

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Jean,

Thanks for helping us to get the poms working. I'm actually waiting a
response from Oscar about the JIRA 2440 to apply his last modifications. He
was working on the poms too, I'm not sure, but the patch he will provide to
us might contain some poms modifications.

What about wait some couple of days to check if he replies with a patch?! :
)

Regards,
Adriano Crestani

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelfino@apache.org

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Sebastien,

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSoC] Final student update

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Laws wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Oscar Castaneda
> <oscar.castaneda.gsoc@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Dear Mentors,
>
>     Since the last update I sent Google has released an updated version
>     of the Android SDK. Unfortunately for my GSoC project such release
>     came too late. On a more positive note, I will continue helping
>     Adriano with the porting efforts. We have begun testing the new SDK
>     with the Android trunk and can hopefully see Tuscany running on
>     Android soon.
>
>     The last tests performed as part of my GSoC project were to remove
>     all @Remotable annotations and to test calculator-android with a
>     componentType side file. Both of these initiatives failed because of
>     the fact the previous version of the Android SDK still choked when
>     encountering any code with annotations. As a new SDK was released I
>     stopped further testing. Since then I have updated the JIRA ticket I
>     created, with the reduced set of modules and changes that Adriano
>     made to SCA code. Additionally, I updated my project wiki to
>     summarize all of the work performed throughout the project.
>
>     I have now started testing the new SDK and currently am running into
>     problems with trying to include a core library from a desktop
>     virtual machine into an Android application, this being
>     "javax/xml/namespace/QName$1.class". I will continue these efforts
>     outside the scope of GSoC.
>
>     Lastly, I would like to thank the Tuscany community; I received help
>     from several committers throughout the project, and of course, from
>     my mentor Adriano. I thank you all for your patience and continued
>     support. Despite the fact that the project wasn't a complete success
>     I definitely learned a lot and was able to explore my interests. I
>     am now continuing my studies in Computer Science and look forward to
>     continue learning from and collaborating on this project.
>
>     --
>     best,
>     -oscar
>
>     Oscar Castañeda
>

> Thanks for the update Oscar. Was great having you involved in Tuscany
> this summer and good to hear you're thinking of sticking around.
>
> Simon

Thanks Oscar, I think the Android port looks very promising, you guys
have done a fantastic job this summer and I hope you can continue to
work on it.

BTW the code is in a sandbox now, I think it would be great to move it
to trunk (not in the main daily build I guess, but still under a folder
in trunk) or maybe in a branch like branches/android or something like
that, as it'll make clear to all that the code is alive and that people
in the community can work on it.

Also you said "I definitely learned a lot and was able to explore my
interests", that sounds like a great success to me! :)

I'm really happy to hear that you're going to stick around too, it's
really good to have you on the project!

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.