Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2010/08/11 22:05:52 UTC

Documentation

I would like to use RAT for IvyDE, Jan started to set it up [1].
Now I would need to "tune" it. So I am looking for documentation, and I just cannot find any.
Is there some ? where ?

If there is none, then I have some questions.
Does RAT is supposed to be run against a source tree or the packaged artifacts ready to be deployed on apache dist ?
Could rat be integrated into a CI build so we can get notified if a commit break the Apache guidelines ?

Nicolas

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-250

Re: Documentation

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Nicolas,

sadly, but there is no documentation.

To include RAT into a CI build, you have to use either of the three
frontends for running RAT. See

    http://incubator.apache.org/rat/

for how to do that.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)

Re: Documentation

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-12, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> Actually I was thinking of rat making the build "unstable" in hudson
> if anything goes wrong, but I would need a dedicated hudson plugin
> which would understand rat's ouput. I think I will stick too just
> generating the reports for now.

I'd go with the XML output if I were you, the plain text putput is
generated from the XML version internally anyway.

> By the way, if I am enough motivated to start to implement a such
> hudson plugin, would the rat project be interested in hosting the
> sources ?

It would absolutely be as much in scope of RAT the project as is the
Antlib or the Maven plugin.

Huson itself looks MIT licensed so a dependency on its API wouldn't pose
a problem either.

Stefan

Re: Documentation

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
On Thursday 12 August 2010 06:22:04 Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2010-08-11, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> > I would like to use RAT for IvyDE, Jan started to set it up [1].  Now
> > I would need to "tune" it. So I am looking for documentation, and I
> > just cannot find any.  Is there some ? where ?
>
> What Jochen said.
>
> I know you are using the Antlib so
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/rat/main/trunk/ant-task-examples
>.xml> may give you some ideas.

ha, great. I will start from that. thanks.

> > Does RAT is supposed to be run against a source tree or the packaged
> > artifacts ready to be deployed on apache dist ?
>
> You can do either.  The Antlib supported running against archives all
> the time, RAT's core supports it with 0.7.  It's your choice.
>
> > Could rat be integrated into a CI build
>
> Sure.  Gavin has set up several buildbot builds for a couple of projects
> that do that (all of them using the Antlib).
>
> > so we can get notified if a commit break the Apache guidelines ?
>
> The Antlib only supports reporting while the Maven plugin can make a
> build fail if there are unapproved licenses.  It simply never occured to
> me that you'd want your build to fail on unapproved licenses, that
> wouldn't be too difficult to add.
>
> If you want to stick with the Antlib you could try parsing the generated
> report and make the build fail if it doesn't contain a line "Unapproved
> Licenses: 0" or something like that.  AntUnit's
> assertResourceDoesntContain could be an option.

Yep, making the build fail maybe be too strong. Actually I was thinking of rat

Re: Documentation

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.