Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/12 16:05:09 UTC

CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Dear CouchDB team,

While we're all working on 2.0 is in progress, I fear that we'll end
this year without a single release. Technically, there is only one
month left till 2016 excluding holidays, but let's be honest - that's
not enough for 2.0. So I propose the plan for 1.7 release to not end
this year with empty list.

There are a couple of important changes that we have for it and users
are waiting for. Primary is the Erlang 18 compatibility, but not only.

What we already have on 1.x.x branch:

- COUCHDB-1011: replicate by document ids from futon
- COUCHDB-1275: decode database names in recent used list
- COUCHDB-2225 Enforce that shared libraries can be built by the system
- COUCHDB-2430: Disable Nagle's algorithm
- COUCHDB-2583: fix connection dropping by the resources which doesn't
require any payload
- COUCHDB-2761: Support glibc >= 2.20
- COUCHDB-2783: Bind both to IPv4 and IPv6
- Futon: Fixed potential XSS issue in jquery.ui
- jquery.couch: Fixed document copying
- sslv3 support is deprecated
- Support for user configurable SSL ciphers
- Multiple minor documentation fixes
- Support Erlang 18

What we can backport without worry:

- COUCHDB-1356: Return username on POST to /_session
- COUCHDB-1447: X-Couch-* headers missed if custom headers were returned
- COUCHDB-1964: eunit test suite
- COUCHDB-2310: /db/_bulk_get
- COUCHDB-2375: Respond with HTTP 400 Bad Request on invalid revision number
- COUCHDB-2534: db security should respect authed users
- COUCHDB-2732: Use thread local storage for couch_ejson_compare NIF
- COUCHDB-2752: Validate Host header
- COUCHDB-2873: Update snappy to 1.1.3
- Multiple improvements that we have for replicator

What I would like to add:

- COUCHDB-2722: Keys from rewrited query params should be blank when
not specified in the URI
- COUCHDB-2874: Rewrites via query server
- COUCHDB-2877: Return nicer error for bad Authorization header
- Deprecation of /_log
- Deprecation of OAuth auth
- Enable CORS by default:
https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#basic-safe-cors-protocol-setup
- Remove Fauxton - AFAIK, it supports 1.x no more and current version
in 1.x.x branch is heavily outdated.
- Mark this release as LTS with short (really) cycle of bug fixes ship

Questionalbe:
- Add systemd notification support.

May be we can also include else experimental features, like JWT and/or
Delegated auth. Personally, I would like to see them, but it's all up
to you Klaus and Jan (;

But even without these experimental features, we have quite long list
of changes to ship.

The plan is simple: for November get all from backport and add lists
into 1.x.x branch and ship 1.7 in first half of December. Quite good
Christmas Eve present for everyone. Personal deadlines 30th November
and 20th December respectively.

Since "everyone is busy on 2.0" I'll take care of this.

P.S. If someone has else important bugfixes on mind to include, please
drop a notice. For 2.0 we have ETOOMANY useful changes, but I would
like to stop only on really important ones. Like replicator ones as I
mentioned.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
Ooppss, sent to public ML. Sorry for the partial off-topic. You can reply
privately if you want.

Thanks

--Giovanni

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com> wrote:
> I'm writing you privately because I don't want the main thread to go
> off-topic

Well, no (:

> Thanks for your roadmap to 1.7.0.. seems very very juicy!
>
> About the "COUCHDB-2752: Validate Host header" in your list. As documented
> here (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2752), to me it seems
> that flag can perfectly be used in the proposed way here:
> http://couchdb.markmail.org/message/q2623pzw7lt73lcg?q=CouchDB+secure+even+withouth+a+proxy
>
> Do you confirm?

After quick look, it seems so.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
Hi Alexander,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Tomas Novysedlak
<to...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Just a quick one. How about long promised
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1415 ?

I'll take a look, but no promises. I'm also not quite sure which exact
changes fixed this for 2.0 and will it be safe to backport them.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Tomas Novysedlak <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander,

  Just a quick one. How about long promised
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1415 ?

Thank you,
  Tomas

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
Hi Johs,

Yes, I confirm that proxy feature is already working for us.

--Giovanni

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Giovanni,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Welcome to CouchDB,  Oskar and Peter,
It would be great to see you on couchapp@couchdb.apache.org <ma...@couchdb.apache.org> where you will find a lot of 1.7 fans

To Peter; hope you can find some CouchDB enthusiasts in Stockholm !
Johs from Norway:)

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Oskar Maria Grande <os...@daruma.io>.
Hi awesome CouchDB folks,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM, ermouth <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good news. Thanks, @kxepal.
>
> We‘ve ported js rewrites to 1.6.1, but not yet checked how it works.
> Results gonna be next monday, will share here. Think code might be useful.

Oh, great! I almost finished it for 2.0, that will be helpful to see.
However, I changed there few bits, will share them with you tomorrow.
Basically: move validation from qs side to erlang, support native
query server, allow to gracefully return from rewrite function when
there are no rules to apply and few more.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.
Good news. Thanks, @kxepal.

We‘ve ported js rewrites to 1.6.1, but not yet checked how it works.
Results gonna be next monday, will share here. Think code might be useful.

ermouth

Fwd: CouchDB 1.7.0 Roadmap

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
May the force be with you!