Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Robert Dodier <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/09 18:41:42 UTC

sbt test error -- "Could not reserve enough space"

Hi,

I am trying to  build and test the current master. My system is Ubuntu
14.04 with 4 G physical memory with Oracle Java 8.

I have been running into various out-of-memory errors. I tried
building with Maven but couldn't get all the way through compile and
package. I'm having better luck with sbt. At this point build/sbt
package runs to completion, so that's great.

When I try to run build/sbt test, I get a lot of errors saying: "Could
not reserve enough space for 3145728KB object heap". Unfortunately 3.1
G is somewhat larger than the available memory, as reported by 'free'.
Is there any way to convince sbt that it needs to allocate less
memory?

I tried build/sbt "test-only
org.apache.spark.mllib.random.RandomDataGeneratorSuite" (I'm not
particularly interested in that test, it's just one that I thought
would be relatively simple) but it seems to do a lot more work than
just running that one test, and I still get the out-of-memory errors.

Aside from getting a machine with more memory (which is not out of the
question), are there any stretegies for coping with out-of-memory
errors in Maven and/or sbt?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

Robert Dodier

Re: sbt test error -- "Could not reserve enough space"

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Robert,

Please check the following link. It might help you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18155325/scala-error-occurred-during-initialization-of-vm-on-ubuntu-12-04

Good luck,

Xiao Li