Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com> on 2008/07/07 02:22:28 UTC

About xplayer source code

Hello everybody,
For there are many GPLed code is mixed in XPlayer, we should not submit
xplayer into ASF. The end users of bluesky system can download this
component from other website, not ASF. In fact, the other components of
bluesky can work properly without xplayer. Xplayer is only useful when the
users are watching recorded course ware. So, this method will work.

--
Best regards!

Ting Peng (t.peng.dev@gmail.com)
[CN] +86-137-721-59621

Re: Re: status report

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
2008/7/14 chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com>:
> sorry for the mistake of IGPL(should be LGPL), soon it will be corrected.

Again, why do want to move to LGPL and not ASL?

  Bernd

Re: Re:Re: status report

Posted by "du.haipeng" <du...@gmail.com>.
Better we make a clear description about the relationship of BlueSky and XPlayer somewhere on our website.

du.haipeng
2008-07-14

sorry for the mistake of IGPL(should be LGPL), soon it will be corrected.
and according to  Bernd ,the report about xplayer should be included ,but
 xplayer has been decided not to be placed in apache but in
some other places as a optional component for some copyright problem ,in this situation ,
is it necessary for the xplayer being included in the  report?

在2008-07-14 02:59:59,"Bernd Fondermann"  <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com > 写道:

Re:Re: status report

Posted by chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com>.

在2008-07-14 02:59:59,"Bernd Fondermann" <be...@googlemail.com> 写道:

Re: status report

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 05:02, chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com> wrote:
> Following is the first BlueSky Project status report ,posted for discussion.
>
> BlueSky has been on incubation for the first stage on apache community. ?
> The Bluesky Project is an e-learning solution designed to balance education resources between well-developed cities and poor regions of China, that is, bringing qualified education resources to backward area students.
> Infrastructure has been set up. Mailing lists for dev, commits and user, with official website, are operational.
> Community
> Two of the original committers have had accounts created.Others have signed their CLAs but License Grant have not been received or processed yet.
>
> Code
>
> Some codes in our project are GPLs, which is against the rule of Apache regulations, and therefore we are transforming them to IGPLs for upload.

I know what GPL is, but I don't know what IGPL is (LGPL, maybe?). And
why doesn't that read ASL? Again, there will be no GPL'ed code in
Apache repositories. Please request in your report assistance from
Incubator if you feel that there are open questions about licensing
and intellectual property transferation to Apache.

I also find it worth reporting that this project currently has one
component named xplayer based on mplayer and FFmpeg, which are (L)GPL,
and are potentially patent encumbered and must be replaced some time.

Thanks,

  Bernd

status report

Posted by chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com>.
                     Status Report

BlueSky has been on incubation for the first stage on apache community.

The Bluesky Project is an e-learning solution designed to balance education resources between well-developed cities and poor regions of China, that is, bringing qualified education resources to backward area students.

Infrastructure has been set up. Mailing lists for dev, commits and user, with official website, are operational.

Community
Two of the original committers have had accounts created.Others have signed their CLAs but License Grant have not been received or processed yet.

Code
We are checking our code by deleting or replacing the libs used which is against the ASL for upload.

status report

Re: Re: Re: About xplayer source code

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> xplayer is advanced on basic of mplayer (GPL) by our team. mplayer code is
> the core of xplayer and provide many primary functions for it, such as
> audio/video playback, streaming multimedia transport protocols and AV
> encode-decode (actually supported by FFmpeg ).

after some bit of research I found that mplayer and FFmpeg projects
are actually very problematic to integrate with an Apache project.

Both trigger concerns because they potentially include patented
algorithms. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mplayer , Legal Issues
section. This is very bad. This software is simply not distributable
in many countries. But I am sure there are other libraries out there
which are safe to use, for example Vorbis and Theora at
http://www.xiph.org/

  Bernd

Re: on report contents to PMC

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM, chenwei_yi2003 <ch...@126.com> wrote:
>     There is some questions existed on reporting our project to PMC .
>
>     Q1: Well ,according to the reporting schedule ,we should submit the first report a.s.a.p,is there some specific regulations about the report contents and what should be included in the report?
>
>     Q2:the format of the sumitted report ,.doc ,.txt format or others?
>
>     Q3:The most important ,who will the report be sumitted to ?
>

>  Any answer will be appreciated,thanks.

Browse http://incubator.apache.org/guides/
Lots of indispensable info there for incubating projects.
Especíally follow links "Podling PMC" -> "Podling Status Reports"

"Podling" means "incubating project", so this is you! :-)

  Bernd

on report contents to PMC

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think mplayer and other third parts from which our system derived
> should be listed in Bluesky wiki
> (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BlueSky), isn't it? And we shall
> provide download links of the all related source code in BlueSky Dev
> website (http://202.117.16.176/). Well, our team will have done this
> work as soon as possible. I agree that we ought to search for a
> substitution of mplayer under GPL.

...under ASL, not GPL, I hope you mean to say?

  Bernd

Re: Re: Re: About xplayer source code

Posted by Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com>.
xplayer is advanced on basic of mplayer (GPL) by our team. mplayer code is
the core of xplayer and provide many primary functions for it, such as
audio/video playback, streaming multimedia transport protocols and AV
encode-decode (actually supported by FFmpeg ). xplayer just add the new
function of playing synchronized multiple multimedia objects into mplayer.
It is very hard to divide mplayer code from xplayer in a short period for
ASL (even if we done, xplayer is non-functional). So xplayer is a vital

Posted by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by "du.haipeng" <du...@gmail.com>.
XPlayer is based on mplayer. We didn't pay much attention to the license at that time so we directly re-coded part of mplayer and here comes the problem.

XPlayer is designed for playing the courseware made by BlueSky.The courseware consits of 3 multimedia files and shoule be played synchronizly.XPlayer can do this automaticly.So other similar players can do,maybe open the 3 files one by one.

du.haipeng
2008-07-08

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:23 AM, du.haipeng <du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me answer your questions:
>
> 1a & 1b: The source code and some docs are avaliable here : http://202.117.16.176

Ok, this is the BlueSky site.
Question: Has XPlayer been developed by your team initially?
If not, where is the original source for this code located on the internet?
If yes, why don't you simply re-license it like the other stuff?

> 2: BlueSky can run without XPlayer.

Can BlueSky run with other similar players?

> We are first time to face all these and things will be better step by step.  ^_^

Yes, of course.

  Bernd

Re: Re: About xplayer source code

> For there are many GPLed code is mixed in XPlayer, we should not submit
> xplayer into ASF. The end users of bluesky system can download this
> component from other website, not ASF. In fact, the other components of
> bluesky can work properly without xplayer. Xplayer is only useful when the
> users are watching recorded course ware. So, this method will work.

I have some questions regarding xplayer:

1a. Where can I download Xplayer? Is it documented somewhere?
1b. Where can I download the source?

2. Can BlueSky run with other players than Xplayer? It would be bad if
it was coupled tightly with some third party.

  Bernd

Re: About xplayer source code

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.