Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by matan <ma...@cloudaloe.org> on 2012/11/29 11:09:07 UTC

HBase:The Definitive Guide book

Hi,

This book was recently mentioned here -  'HBase:The Definitive Guide'
<http://www.amazon.com/HBase-Definitive-Guide-Lars-George/dp/1449396100>  .

How much would you say is that book still up-to-date and useful, as
concerning the time and new releases passed since it was written? HBase is
still evolving....

Thanks,
Matan

Re: HBase:The Definitive Guide book

Posted by David Koch <og...@googlemail.com>.
I can recommend the book. It contains very helpful chapters on advanced
features such custom filters and co-processors including examples to get
you started with your own implementations. Also, there are interesting
parts on what's going on under the "hood" of HBase. You missed Cyber Monday
on o'Reilly but the book is worth its price any day ;-)

/David

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
LOL...

Posted by Kevin O'dell <ke...@cloudera.com>.
Mike missed a couple:

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Heh Mike, it is aaaall for fame and glory....

The book is fairly current since I did target 0.92 of Hbase, and only a few things have changed since that would warrant an update. I am waiting for a 1.0 release now, which might be a renamed 0.96 if all agree. But until then I will wait and track what is going on.

Please note that I track the API changes on public classes with JDiff and update http://hbasebook.com. I haven't done that in a while I just noticed, so updating it now (check the "as of..." date, once I am done here it will switch to today's date).

With that you can roughly see what has changed as the public changes are really the only ones that would make it into the book.

What I am also planning on adding is my recent stuff on HBase sizing (www.slideshare.net/larsgeorge/hbase-sizing-notes) to give some ideas on how to plan out a cluster.

Ideally, I would assume that mid of next year is a reasonable timeframe for a refresh - of course all depending on how quickly we can get 1.0 out of the door :)

Lars

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
+1.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrien Mogenet <ad...@gmail.com>.
I'm writing this quick answer with my memories (I read this book maybe one
year ago) : it's still awesome to understand concepts, good recipes, HFiles
and general tuning (compactions, etc.) but you'll have to dig deeper to
benefit from new configuration settings or understand new behaviors (>=
0.94 if I remember).

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, matan <ma...@cloudaloe.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This book was recently mentioned here -  'HBase:The Definitive Guide'
> <http://www.amazon.com/HBase-Definitive-Guide-Lars-George/dp/1449396100>
>  .
>
> How much would you say is that book still up-to-date and useful, as
> concerning the time and new releases passed since it was written? HBase is
> still evolving....
>
> Thanks,
> Matan

Adrien Mogenet