Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joao Pedro Goncalves <jo...@ptm.pt> on 2000/11/29 17:22:20 UTC

WebDAV support in mod_perl

Hi, is there any current project going on for using the WebDAV protocol
in
mod_perl, something like Apache::WebDAV?

I am familiar with the mod_dav efforts however they seem to be oriented
filesystem repositories and i would like to use WebDAV in a more dynamic
environment such as repositories being in a database, or for supporting
new stuff like Outlook HTTPmail, that uses WebDAV to connect to Hotmail.

If not, is there any people out there interested in starting one?

Core features of the WebDAV protocol already have several CPAN modules
that would help
its development, such as locking and XML processing.

Thanks in advance,
Joao Pedro

--
João Pedro Gonçalves
www.sapo.pt

Re: WebDAV support in mod_perl

Posted by Joao Pedro Goncalves <jo...@ptm.pt>.
HTTP::DAV is a client to the WebDAV protocol, not a server.

--
João Pedro Gonçalves
perl

Re: WebDAV support in mod_perl

Posted by Aaron Johnson <so...@gina.net>.
Is the HTTP::DAV module of any use?  I just ran across it in TPJ.

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/HTTP-DAV/DAV.html

Aaron

Posted by Jeremy Howard <j...@howard.fm>.
Joao Pedro Goncalves wrote:

> Hi, is there any current project going on for using the WebDAV protocol
> in
> mod_perl, something like Apache::WebDAV?
>
> I am familiar with the mod_dav efforts however they seem to be oriented
> filesystem repositories and i would like to use WebDAV in a more dynamic
> environment such as repositories being in a database, or for supporting
> new stuff like Outlook HTTPmail, that uses WebDAV to connect to Hotmail.

I'm keen to create a Perl module that can get Hotmail email via WebDAV. I'd
be happy to help with getting this working--all that's stopped me so far is
a lack of documentation of the protocol that Outlook Express uses for HTTP
mail. Does anyone have any info about this?

Re: WebDAV support in mod_perl

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 09:20:49AM -0800, Ian Kallen wrote:

> Yes, I've contemplated either:
>
> 1) implementing the DAV protocols entirely in Perl for mod_perl
> 2) gluing in XS into mod_dav -- IIRC mod_dav has hooks for non-filesystem
> respositories; it'd be great just to expose that API to mod_perl (haven't
> cracked open that code yet though)

Yes, mod_dav has a pluggable backend. Since Perl can be embedded (i.e. apps
can call into it to exec code), then you could implement a mod_dav backend
in Perl. That would save you a bunch of time over trying to do all the
protocol work.

The mod_dav in Apache 2.0 has a better dynamic-load plugin/backend story,
but mod_dav 1.0 (which is built for Apache 1.3) still has all the same
features/functionality for backends.

> Issues: what will be required to implement DeltaV (I need concurrent
> checkouts and versioning) as well?

All of this is being developed within the mod_dav as part of Apache 2.0.
Through the plugin mechanism, we'll be using Subversion (SVN)
(http://subversion.tigris.org/) as the backend. SVN will be using DeltaV as
the network protocol, and Apache 2.0 as the network server.

There is also some DeltaV work going on in the CVS version of mod_dav, with
much of the same backend interfaces and code. I wouldn't call any of the
mod_dav DeltaV work "cooked" though.

I'm going to be testing the Apache 2.0 this week and next, for Milestone 2
of Subversion which occurs at the end of next week. M2 will be a very
limited DeltaV server... but that does include checkout and versioning :-)

> What's up with the expat-lite
> in Apache conflicting with XML::Parser's expat?

The intent is to find time to upgrade Apache to use Expat 1.95.0 and axe the
expat-lite stuff. It should work fine (and part of the Expat 1.95 release
was specifically to fix the Apache/mod_perl Expat conflict), but
time/priority just hasn't happened yet. It should over the next couple
weeks, as we're trying to nail down an Apache 2.0 beta and we want to
resolve that problem.

There is client side work at http://www.webdav.org/perldav/

> > I am familiar with the mod_dav efforts however they seem to be oriented
> > filesystem repositories and i would like to use WebDAV in a more dynamic
> > environment such as repositories being in a database, or for supporting
> > new stuff like Outlook HTTPmail, that uses WebDAV to connect to Hotmail.

Oracle has built a backend for mod_dav which stores all of the content and
properties into an Oracle database. It should be appearing on the Oracle
Technical Network "real soon now".

So... mod_dav can do it, but yes: it would be C coding rather than Perl :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: WebDAV support in mod_perl

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Ian Kallen wrote:

> Yes, I've contemplated either:
>
> 1) implementing the DAV protocols entirely in Perl for mod_perl
> 2) gluing in XS into mod_dav -- IIRC mod_dav has hooks for non-filesystem
> respositories; it'd be great just to expose that API to mod_perl (haven't
> cracked open that code yet though)
>
> Issues: what will be required to implement DeltaV (I need concurrent
> checkouts and versioning) as well?

Depends what you base it on. CVS or subversion or something? Greg Stein
was saying that DeltaV isn't finalised anyway, so you'd be writing clients
too!

> What's up with the expat-lite
> in Apache conflicting with XML::Parser's expat?

Just compile Apache with RULE_EXPAT=no, and if you want to compile mod_dav
with the shared expat on expat.sourceforge.net then use the patches in
http://axkit.org/download/

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: WebDAV support in mod_perl

Posted by Alex Menendez <am...@hotbacon.com>.
I am very interested in any developments in this area. I currently am
doing dav stuff in Java for macromedia.com and would be interested in
porting it to my first love: Perl!

please let me know of any developments. I am willing to help, if you need
it.

cheers,
-amen

Posted by Ian Kallen <sp...@salon.com>.