Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2019/05/10 02:03:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving IA.Public class LossyCounting to IA.Private in all maintenance branches

Hi folks!

just a heads up that a few of us are planning to move a class out of
the public API without a deprecation cycle.

From the planned release note:

> The class LossyCounting was unintentionally marked Public but was never
> intended to be part of our public API. This oversight has been corrected
> and LossyCounting is now marked as Private and going forward may be
> subject to additional breaking changes or removal without notice. If you
> have taken a dependency on this class we recommend cloning it locally into
> your project before upgrading to this release.

This class was came in via HBASE-19722 and was published in HBase
1.4.6, 2.0.2, and 2.1.3 (and depending on RC timing might be in
2.2.0).

It will move to IA.Private as of 1.4.10, 1.5.0, 2.0.6, 2.1.5 and later
(maybe 2.2.1 depending on RC timing). The class already has
backwards-incompatible changes set to happen in upcoming releases
1.4.10, 1.5.0, and 2.2.0.

Please speak up sooner rather than later if you'll have a problem
voting on RCs that include this change, either here or on HBASE-21991.

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving IA.Public class LossyCounting to IA.Private in all maintenance branches

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
> So we need to roll new RCs for both 2.1.5 and 2.2.0?
Yes, both RCs have missing commits and incomplete Release notes.

> The base patch didn't commit to branch-2.2?
The committer missed to push the change to branch-2.2 even though there was
a discussion HBASE-21991 should land there. Fix version also included 2.2.0
but not 2.1.5 where it was actually committed to.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sakthi <sa...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Jan Hentschel <ja...@ultratendency.com>.
Also +1 for making it IA.Private.

From: Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>
Date: Friday, May 10, 2019 at 1:41 PM
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <de...@hbase.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Moving IA.Public class LossyCounting to IA.Private in all maintenance branches

+1 on moving LossyCounting to IA.Private

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 7:54 AM Stack <st...@duboce.net>> wrote:

Looks good to me.

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.