Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/15 11:31:16 UTC

Time to think about a 3.6.0 release?

Hi Zookeepers !
I checked on JIRA and it seems that master in good shape, no real blockers
that mine the stability of the code.

We have plenty of cool pull requests almost ready to be merged (mostly from
Facebook friends and Twitter fork)

Current master branch is full of great features in respect to 3.5.

AFAIK There is no incompatibility with 3.5 so it is okay to stay with
3.6.0, although I think that there is so much stuff to legit a switch to
4.0.0 (but we can reserve such bump for the time we will separate the java
client and create a minimal compatibility breakage)

Thoughts?

Enrico

Re: Time to think about a 3.6.0 release?

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il mer 26 giu 2019, 11:20 Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.invalid> ha
scritto:

> Sorry, correction, I just followed up on ZOOKEEPER-2136, patch is not
> ready, and maybe not even a blocker for 3.6.0?

I would drop 3.6.0 label from ZOOKEEPER-2136, I have already commented
(with Patrick) on that issue about setting priority to "Major" (I have
changed it now please Norbert add your comment on the issue as well).

Beside note: I will be happy to follow the release as release manager if no
one else objects.

I would like to see all of those hot pull requests merged (expecially the
ones around port unification, batch commits....), ant build dropped
definitely and zkpython stuff fixed.

Regarding the proposal to turn on new features by default I think that ZK
3.5.5 was released only some weeks ago
and as 3.5.4 was labelled "beta" people are still on 3.4 branch.
So I think it is safer to keep current default similar to the ones in 3.5.5.
If we release 3.6.0 as stable it is probable that people with just directly
to 3.6.0.

But if you are aware of features that it is really better to turn on by
default let's do it.

Enrico

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Fangmin,

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Thanks Fangmin for pointing out these issues.
I’ll take a look at them once I have some free cycles - currently on holiday. :)

We should consider compiling a list of 3.6 blockers in Jira similar what we had for 3.5.

Andor

Posted by Fangmin Lv <lv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.