Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jonathonb <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/17 06:11:20 UTC

Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Dear Contributors,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am a post graduate student at the
university of Nottingham and I am writing a paper on open source
communities, the working environment they create for contributors and
governance issues that may arise (I don't want to give too much away at this
point as I wouldn't want to sway any potential interviewees answers).

As the title suggests I am looking for contributors whom I can interview
(ideally over skype) on their personal reasons and motivations etc. behind
contribution to spam assassin. As such a detailed knowledge of its history
or inner working is not necessary as I am only interested in YOUR views and
contributors will remain anonymous.

By helping me with my research you would be helping me out A LOT and
potentially helping to create new findings within open source community
which can benefit everyone. Upon completion I will not be selling my paper
and will be more than happy to share it with any and everybody who may be
interested in reading it.

Once again any time would be appreciated, even if you can't commit to a
skype meeting. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jonathon Bell

zx09978@nottingham.edu.cn
jonny.ch.bell@gmail.com

Re: Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Posted by jonathonb <jo...@gmail.com>.
Mr. Bob Smith said 'the thing about everyone else here is they're all
idiots". Everyone else reads the paper = problems for Mr. Smith.

That kind of thing

Re: Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Posted by Simon Loewenthal <si...@klunky.co.uk>.

>... for their own protection.
What do we need protection from?

Dogs are tough.
I've been interrogating this one for hours and he still won't tell me who's a good boy.
  simon@klunky / .co.uk / .org

Posted by Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@state-of-mind.de>.
* Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>:
> On 8/17/12 12:11 AM, jonathonb wrote:
> >As such a detailed knowledge of its history
> >or inner working is not necessary as I am only interested in YOUR views and
> >contributors will remain anonymous.
>
> No, we do all of this for fame and fortune.
> We WANT to see our name in research papers. (preferable in a country
> where we might be looking for work!)

+1

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666

Re: Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 8/17/2012 11:53 AM, Dave Funk wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
>> On 8/17/12 12:11 AM, jonathonb wrote:
>>> As such a detailed knowledge of its history
>>> or inner working is not necessary as I am only interested in YOUR
>>> views and
>>> contributors will remain anonymous.
>>
>> No, we do all of this for fame and fortune.
>> We WANT to see our name in research papers. (preferable in a country
>> where we might be looking for work!)
>
> Jonathon
> If you haven't already done so, read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"
> (and related works) by Eric S Raymond.
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/
>
> But, yes, public recognition of contributions is a major psychological
> component of why people go to this kind of effort.

FYI, depending on what he is doing, his internal review board (IRB) or
Human Subjects Review Board might require the analysis to be anonymous.

Jonathon, I would be happy to be interviewed and I am the current Apache
SpamAssassin Project Management Committee Chair.  You can choose to
credit or not credit my work as you see fit.  However, as noted above,
you might have more interviewees if you offered it as a choice to remain
anonymous.

Email me off list to discuss further.

Regards,

Kevin A. McGrail aka KAM

Re: Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> On 8/17/12 12:11 AM, jonathonb wrote:
>> As such a detailed knowledge of its history
>> or inner working is not necessary as I am only interested in YOUR views and
>> contributors will remain anonymous.
>
> No, we do all of this for fame and fortune.
> We WANT to see our name in research papers. (preferable in a country where we
> might be looking for work!)

Jonathon
If you haven't already done so, read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" (and
related works) by Eric S Raymond. http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/

But, yes, public recognition of contributions is a major psychological
component of why people go to this kind of effort.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Academic interested in interviewing you for research paper.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 8/17/12 12:11 AM, jonathonb wrote:
> As such a detailed knowledge of its history
> or inner working is not necessary as I am only interested in YOUR views and
> contributors will remain anonymous.

No, we do all of this for fame and fortune.
We WANT to see our name in research papers. (preferable in a country
where we might be looking for work!)
--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000