Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ramo Karahasan <ra...@googlemail.com> on 2012/02/15 11:48:14 UTC

Solr as an part of api to unburden databases

Hi,

does anyone of the maillinglist users use solr as an API to avoid database
queries? I know that this depends on the type of data. Imagine you have
something like Quora "Q&A" System, which is most just "text". If I would
embed some of these "Q&A" into my personal site, and would invoke the Quroa
API, I guess, they would do some database operations.

Would it be possible to call the Quora API that internally calls solr and
stream the results back to my website?

This should be highly configurable, but the advantage would be that  it
would unburden the databases.

There would be something like a three layer architecture:   Client  -> |
API (is doing some authorization/authentication checks) -> |  solr

               Solr  -> | API (may be filter the data, remove unofficial
data, etc. ) -> | Client

I'm not really familiar with that kind of architecture, and therefore does
not know, if it makes any sense.

Any comments are appreciated!

Best regards,

Ramo

Re: Solr as an part of api to unburden databases

Posted by Chantal Ackermann <ch...@btelligent.de>.

> > does anyone of the maillinglist users use solr as an API to avoid database
> > queries? [...]
>
> Like in a... cache?
>
> Why not use a cache then? (memcached, for example, but there are more).

Good point. A cache only uses lookup by one kind of cache key while SOLR
provides lookup by ... well... any search configuration that your index
setup (mainly the schema) supports.

If the "database queries" always do a find by unique id, then use a
cache. Otherwise using SOLR is a valid option.

Chantal

Re: Solr as an part of api to unburden databases

Posted by Tomas Zerolo <to...@axelspringer.de>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:48:14AM +0100, Ramo Karahasan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> does anyone of the maillinglist users use solr as an API to avoid database
> queries? [...]

Like in a... cache?

Why not use a cache then? (memcached, for example, but there are more).

Regards
-- tomás