Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Brandon Cross <bc...@nodetx.com> on 2012/11/24 16:45:18 UTC

installation question

I'm reinstalling on Cent 6.3

In the installation guide,

http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.
0-incubating/html/Installation_Guide/sect-source-buildrpm.html

Section 3.6 says to run 'mvn -P deps' which I can do successfully

Then it wants me to run './waf rpm' which fails to build successfully on
some ant error... I can get more specific if needed.

If I skip the rpm build, the next step says to configure my new YUM
repository (Step 3.6.2)

At /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudstack.repo

I add this code:

[apache-cloudstack]

name=Apache CloudStack

baseurl=http://webserver.tld/path/to/repo

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

Except for my base URL path, I went to the downloads page of the
cloudstack incubator and found the RPM package repo linked on this page

http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html

[apache-cloudstack]

name=Apache CloudStack

baseurl=http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/rhel/4.0/

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

When I do that, and then 'yum install cloud-client' I'm able to obtain
what appears to be the correct stuff. I just need to know - is it ok for
me to use that repo (the rpm's at cloudstack), and not successfully run
the './waf rpm' or do I have to still build the rpm's anyway?

-Brandon Cross

Re: installation question

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brandon,

It's totally fine to use the yum repo: http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/rhel/4.0/
There is also a repo for Ubuntu

Compiling from source is not required and mostly geared for developers.

Also note that all apache releases are *source* releases. The binaries are provided by third parties as convenience for the community.

So by all means, do use the repo.

Best,

-Sebastien

Re: installation question

Posted by Michael Hart-Jones <mh...@accessit.co.uk>.
Thank you that Sebastien,
Unfortunately you are about 3 months too late, as the servers are now
built, but should I have to build another I will look these over.
---
Michael Hart-Jones BEng
E-Mail: mhartjones@accessit.co.uk <ma...@accessit.co.uk>
Tel: (01227) 750555