Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Paulo Santos <pa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/19 19:04:36 UTC

[Newbie] Best practice with configurations

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering which one would be the best practice with ivy configurations.

I have a module that have 4 configurations (core, linux, windows and test),
as their name implies, core has the core libraries  and when I build the
distributions for this module I set the classpath in different ways, for
example, core+windows or core+linux and to run the tests on my CI server
core+tests.

They all are stored in different folders since my pattern looks like this:
<ivy:retrieve pattern="${lib.root}/[conf]/[artifact].[ext]" />

 The problem with that, is that if core has a library (e.g.
commons-loggings) and let's say test has a transitive dependency to the same
library, since they are in separated folders, the eviction doesn't work, and
I can end up with two different versions of the same library in my
classpath.

So here is my question, instead of separating and leaving only the
necessaries libraries in each configuration, should I extend core and
duplicate its libraries in test, linux and windows configurations? That way,
I know eviction would work, but would this redundancy be the best solution?

thanks,

Paulo Santos