Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by bribridnl <br...@insa-rennes.fr> on 2020/04/24 08:07:42 UTC

Multicast Address

Hey guys, I have a very specific use case where raspberry pis are connected
in a ring topology and I have a docker service running apache ignite. Now I
want them to be running the same distributed database but I don't know what
multicast adress to use in the config.xml file.
For now each rpi has a wifi dongle plugged in and the dongle is connected to
the wifi inerface of the next pi etc.. forming a ring. So they're not on
same subnetwork but kind of and  they also act like routers between each
other...
Is someone able to help me ?

Re: Multicast Address

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.
Multicast generally only works on the same subnet, so I don’t think that’s going to work. The next most obvious solution would be to use a static list, as Evgenii said. If you don’t want to do that, you’re left with options like the JDBC or Shared File System IP finder (https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/tcpip-discovery <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/tcpip-discovery>). You could possibly also create your own virtual Docker network.

Re: Multicast Address

Posted by bribridnl <br...@insa-rennes.fr>.

Re: Multicast Address

Posted by Evgenii Zhuravlev <e....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Server nodes should be able to communicate with each other directly, for
example, for rebalancing purpose or sending current partition distribution.
So, if they're able to directly communicate with each other, you can either
configure all their static Ips(not necessary for Multicast Ip finder) or
use on of the other Ip finder implementations:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/tcpip-discovery

Evgenii