Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> on 2000/11/11 16:00:24 UTC

pagination

Hello Arved,

I have started to look at the pagination stuff.

I started with single-page-master-reference. Maybe I am mistaken
but I got the impression that it is only used to define a single page.
Is the renderer supposed to throw an exception, if the text is too long
to fit on a single page?

Fotis

Re: pagination

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
From:           	Kelly Campbell <ca...@camk.net>

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 10:47:33AM -0400, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> > That is my impression, also. The spec is quite clear on this.
> >
> > I can't remember how I set it up in the code, but I wanted to have a
> > FOPException thrown if there was too much text. Strictly speaking the spec
> > allows implementations leeway to re-use the last
> > single-page-master-reference; I didn't go that route. This is up for debate;
> > we can re-use and issue a warning.
>
> I added the warning message for this yesterday while testing some fo's
> that used a conditional page master that was only valid on the first page.
> I'll write up a test case for the single page master ref and make sure
> that gets the warning as well. I don't think it's currently handled in
> the single page master ref case right now.

No, it is not, I tested this. I also think a warning should do as in the
case of area overflow.

Fotis

Re: pagination

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ca...@camk.net>.
On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 10:47:33AM -0400, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> That is my impression, also. The spec is quite clear on this.
>
> I can't remember how I set it up in the code, but I wanted to have a
> FOPException thrown if there was too much text. Strictly speaking the spec
> allows implementations leeway to re-use the last
> single-page-master-reference; I didn't go that route. This is up for debate;
> we can re-use and issue a warning.

I added the warning message for this yesterday while testing some fo's
that used a conditional page master that was only valid on the first page.
I'll write up a test case for the single page master ref and make sure
that gets the warning as well. I don't think it's currently handled in
the single page master ref case right now.

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell                        Software Engineer
camk@channelpoint.com                    Channelpoint, Inc.

Re: pagination

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 04:00 PM 11/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello Arved,
>
>I have started to look at the pagination stuff.
>
>I started with single-page-master-reference. Maybe I am mistaken
>but I got the impression that it is only used to define a single page.
>Is the renderer supposed to throw an exception, if the text is too long
>to fit on a single page?
>
>Fotis

Hi, Fotis

That is my impression, also. The spec is quite clear on this.

I can't remember how I set it up in the code, but I wanted to have a
FOPException thrown if there was too much text. Strictly speaking the spec
allows implementations leeway to re-use the last
single-page-master-reference; I didn't go that route. This is up for debate;
we can re-use and issue a warning.

Arved

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"