Posted to user@struts.apache.org by webmeiker <in...@webmeiker.com> on 2010/11/29 12:45:02 UTC

labelizing submit buttons

Hi all,

Could somebody help me with the next issue?

In a submit button I want to use a customized label (which is extracted from
a .properties file).

The problem is that I get the next exception:

Error setting expression 'btn.search' with value
'[Ljava.lang.String;@1ed56e2'

*ognl.OgnlException*: target is null for setProperty(null, "search",
[Ljava.lang.String;@1ed56e2)

      at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(*OgnlRuntime.java:1651*)

Here is the code involved:

…in the .properties:

btn.search=Search

…in the .jsp:

<s:submit key="btn.search " />

Does somebody know how to avoid this exception without implementing a method
‘setSearch()’ in the action?

Thanks in advance!

Re: labelizing submit buttons

Posted by "M. Rakowski" <ma...@rakowski.biz>.
maybe it is a little late, but here is a "legal" way
to put a label on s:submit:

<s:submit value="%{getText('btn.search')}" />

With btn.search defined in .properties file.

Re: labelizing submit buttons

Posted by Li Ying <li...@gmail.com>.
I think your tag has a leak of attribute "method"

Your code:
<s:submit key="btn.search" />

will generate HTML likes:

<input type="submit" name="btn.search" value="Search"/>

When you click this button, there will be a http request parameter
like "btn.search=Search".
Struts2 will accept this parameter, and try to save it to your action property.
So, there will be a property setting, which cause method invoking likes:
YourAction.getBtn().setSearch("Search")

But your action does not have a property named "btn",
so getBtn() will get a null, and of cause the setSearch part will fail.

If you add a "method" attribute to submit tag, like:
<s:submit key="btn.search" method="search" />

It will generate HTML like:

<input type="submit" value="Search" name="method:search" />

Notice, the "name" is now "method:search"
So, when you click this button, the http request will be:
"method:search=Search".

Struts will recognize the prefix "method:", so it know that this is a
flag to specify which method to execute, but not a input data which
need to be set in to property of Action.

Re: labelizing submit buttons

Posted by webmeiker <in...@webmeiker.com>.
There is an easy trick:

Define all your buttons in your global.properties starting with word ‘*dojo*’
like this:

dojo.btn.eliminar=Borrar

dojo.btn.editar=Editar

dojo.btn.inscripcion=Inscribirse

dojo.btn.buscar=Buscar

That way you avoid ParametersInterceptor to search for unimplemented setters
as a result of the excludeParams configuration parameter:

<interceptor-ref name="params">

<param name="excludeParams">dojo\..*,^struts\..*</param>

</interceptor-ref>

Hope this helps!

Posted by webmeiker <in...@webmeiker.com>.
It doesn’t work…

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.
You shouldn't need a setSearch method inside your action:
the bEst way to make it work is to verify that your
ActionClassName.properties contains a btn.search entry.

2010/11/29 webmeiker <in...@webmeiker.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Could somebody help me with the next issue?
>

> In a submit button I want to use a customized label (which is extracted from
> a .properties file).
>
> The problem is that I get the next exception:
>

> Error setting expression 'btn.search' with value
> '[Ljava.lang.String;@1ed56e2'
>
> *ognl.OgnlException*: target is null for setProperty(null, "search",
> [Ljava.lang.String;@1ed56e2)
>
>      at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(*OgnlRuntime.java:1651*)
>

> Here is the code involved:
>

> …in the .properties:
>
> btn.search=Search
>

> …in the .jsp:
>
> <s:submit key="btn.search " />
>

> Does somebody know how to avoid this exception without implementing a method
> ‘setSearch()’ in the action?
>

> Thanks in advance!

Maurizio Cucchiara