Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Bolinger, Gregg D" <Gr...@intrustbank.com> on 2004/08/02 23:35:48 UTC

Getting String object of compiled template

I have done this before and for the life of me can't find the code nor
can I figure out how I found out.  I have a template that I would like
to use for Emailing.  To work with the JavaMail API I just need to get a
String back of the template merged with the data.  Can someone tell me
how to do this?  I searched the archives but didn't come up with
anything.

Thanks.

Gregg

Re: Getting String object of compiled template

Posted by Mike Rettig <mi...@gmail.com>.
I do the exact same thing for email. It's just a couple lines of code.

This should do it...
//import java.io.StringWriter;
// import velocity classes

        VelocityEngine eng = new VelocityEngine();
        //setup engine

        VelocityContext context = new VelocityContext();
        // populate context

        eng.mergeTemplate("myTemplate.vm", context, writer);
        String result = writer.toString();