Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net> on 2008/01/22 18:47:06 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 won't start up anymore after adding/removing webapps

I installed v5.5.25.  I installed the "admin" app (although the
instructions on doing this seem uncertain).  I used it for a few hours,
deploying and undeploying some experimental apps using MyFaces and
RichFaces.  Now, for some reason, I'm finding that Tomcat won't start up
at all, and I've undeployed all the apps (except the admin app) that I
had deployed.  I first only removed the war and exploded dir from the
webapps dir, but then I tried removing them from the
"work/Catalina/localhost" directory also.

The error I'm seeing in the localhost log is this:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader
.java:1362)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader
.java:1208)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.j
ava:3712)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4216
)

Obviously, since something is still trying to reference MyFaces, there's
some remnant of one of my deployed apps lying around in a place that I'm
not aware of.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 won't start up anymore after adding/removing webapps

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
clean  %CATALINA_HOME%/temp
clean  %CATALINA_HOME%/work

rename all instances of myfaces-impl-1.1.2.jar to *.*.old
comment all instances of StartupServletContextListener such as this entry in
web.xml.myfaces
    <listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener</lis
tener-class>
    </listener>

(OR uninstall and re-install tc as earlier suggested)

M-
Posted by david delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net>.

Posted by david delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
ServletContextListeners are configured in an app's web.xml file, so
look for all web.xml files on the server (look inside .war files too)
to see if any of them mention
org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener.
--
Len

Posted by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>.
Usually in the past web based deployment/undeployment has been through the manager app and not the admin app. The work directory is only for the compilation of the JSP. Can you deploy using ANT? Please reply with more info and maybe you will get a better response:

OS: type/version
JDK: version
Install dir: (path) c:\Apache Tomcat\whatever or /usr/local/Apache...
JAVA_HOME: path
CATALINA_HOME: path
CLASSPATH: path
ANT_HOME: path