Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Richard Doust <rd...@comcast.net> on 2003/06/21 19:45:24 UTC

I may be wrong but...

I'm not certain I'm right, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the build
the way it's written right now cannot possibly work. As far as I know,
there's no way to unset a property in ant. The "unless" attribute of a
target will not build the target if the property is "set". As far as I can
see, this means if it has any value at all. The only way to overcome this is
to modify build.properties to remove the setting of those property values.
It cannot be overridden by copying build.properties to
local.build.properties and modifying that as suggested because it's not
possible to define them to a non-value.
I have commented those properties out of build.properties (and
local.build.properties) and this has solved my problem.
That's my two cents worth.
Rich

RE: I may be wrong but...

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Well, the book was written long before the cvs move was even
thought of - in fact IIRC it was written fairly early even
in the life of 2.0.x (around 2.0.2?) so it is even out of
date with that branch in places.  But that is in no way
a knock against the book.  It does an excellent job of
explaining the core concepts.  I think the authors (who
are all very involved in cocoon and on these lists) do
maintain an errata page somewhere but don't know if it
was mentioned in the book.

Based on your interest in learning the framework, it sounds
like you are best off using 2.1, studying the book but stay
on the lookout for differences.  Ultimately, you'll need to
check against the code, the current docs (at the site, or built
locally), the wiki (http://wiki.cocoondev.org) and these lists
when you suspect a conflict or change.  Regrettably, the official
documentation in some places will be the least reliable at the
moment.  Let us know any problems you spot.

If something doesn't work as expected you should be suspicious
of your information before cocoon.  It of course is not
perfect but it is actively worked on by a lot of people and
something obvious like huge sections of the samples not working
would not go 24 hours without notice.  The 2.1 branch is being
prepared for beta stage, so it should be very stable right now.

Geoff

RE: I may be wrong but...

RE: I may be wrong but...

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.