Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Chaudhary, Mohit" <mo...@dxc.com> on 2024/02/28 08:57:08 UTC

Core Dump File Generation

Hi All,

We are facing issues on tomcat. Core dump file generating very frequent twice to thrice in a month and core file size would be 13GB to 15GB every time .Whenever this issue is happening tomcat services stopped automatically. We have done analysis of hs_err_pid.log file and based on analysis we have tried many thing (such increased tomcat heap memory ) but unable to resolve this issue. Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,
Mohit Chaudhary

Re: Core Dump File Generation

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mohit,

On 2/28/24 04:39, Chaudhary, Mohit wrote:
> I am talking about java core dump file which is generating on tomcat/bin path and the OS is RHEL 6.

There is no such thing as a "java core dump file".

What is the name of the file? Something like hs_err_*? or is this
something in catalina.out?

If it's an hs_err_* file then your JVM is crashing. The good news about
those files is they tell you exactly what is crashing. If you don't mind
posting the top of that file including the native stack, etc. maybe we
can help.

That version of Java is really really old. Even if you are stuck on Java
1.8 like a lot of people who are too scared to upgrade, you should be
able to get a much later version of Java from e.g. Eclipse Adoptium /
Temurin. Perhaps there was a JVM bug that has been fixed?

-chris

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.
On 28.02.24 12:03, Chaudhary, Mohit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Java version 1.8.0_121 is running on server.

 From the release notes of Java 1.8.0_121
(https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/8u121-relnotes.html):

The JRE expires whenever a new release with security vulnerability fixes
becomes available. Critical patch updates, which contain security
vulnerability fixes, are announced one year in advance on Critical Patch
Updates, Security Alerts and Third Party Bulletin
<https://www.oracle.com/security-alerts/>. This JRE (version 8u121) will
expire with the release of the next critical patch update scheduled for
April 18, 2017.

Take special note of the year-portion of the mentioned date.

And evaluate what other neglected software you run on a potentially
public-facing server.

Check first if you run into an issue that might have been fixed some
time in the past 7 years already, before debugging /any/ further.

Olaf

Re: Core Dump File Generation

Posted by "Chaudhary, Mohit" <mo...@dxc.com>.
Hi,

Java version 1.8.0_121 is running on server.

________________________________
> I am talking about java core dump file which is generating on tomcat/bin
> path and the OS is RHEL 6.

What's the exact version of Java running?

Regards,
Simon

Posted by Simon Matter <si...@invoca.ch>.

Posted by "Chaudhary, Mohit" <mo...@dxc.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Simon Matter <si...@invoca.ch>.
Hi Mohit,

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.
On 28.02.24 09:57, Chaudhary, Mohit wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are facing issues on tomcat. Core dump file generating very frequent twice to thrice in a month and core file size would be 13GB to 15GB every time .Whenever this issue is happening tomcat services stopped automatically. We have done analysis of hs_err_pid.log file and based on analysis we have tried many thing (such increased tomcat heap memory ) but unable to resolve this issue. Please suggest.

There's not much to suggest: A core dump can be analyzed for the root
cause of it being generated. Typically a problem that goes beyond what
Java code itself is capable to do. More often than not, native code - if
there is any involved - would be my first place to look at.

Also, as the JVM is native code itself: Make sure that it's up-to-date.

On top of that: Yes, when a core dump is generated, the process for
which it was generated is indeed stopped. That's what a crash does to
your process (even if core dumps were disabled or went to /dev/null).
You might want to set up your systems for automatic restart, most likely
with alerting someone of the condition and the restart, so that you have
an overview over how often it happens, but generally keep the service up.

Olaf