Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Chathura Herath <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/17 18:13:30 UTC

[Axis 2] Axis2 and Woden

Argh forgot the Axis2 prefix

Hi,
I have been working on integrating woden to Axis2 and here is a summery

There are three areas that has dependencies on WSDLs. Namely,
WSDL2JAVA, ClientAPI, JAVA2WSDL.

WSDL2JAVA:

The proposal is to support both wsdl4j based and woden based code
generation. This way we can keep wdl4j for wsdl 1.1(which is already
inplace) and use woden for parsing WSDL 2.0 files. Idea is to put a
switch in the code generation so that one can opt for wsdl4j or woden.
Something like
Java2WSDL -wsdlversion woden .....
(Or may be later we can add a AXIOM based util that determines the
WSDL version. I wonder woden already have this kind of utility)

Code generation currently relies on the AxisService which eliminates
the direct dependency on a particular wsdl parser. So its well
decoupled already using a WSDL2AxisServiceBuilder. The proposal is to
interface this and introduce
WSDL11TOAxisServieBuilder (just a mater of renaming)
WodenToAxisServiceBuilder

I trust the emitters will work as anticipated and produce the proper
outputs given the AxisService is built correctly.

Client API:
1)Following constructor to be added to ServiceClient so that it will
have its woden counterpart for Creating ServiceClient
public ServiceClient(ConfigurationContext configContext,
DescriptionElement description,
                         QName wsdlServiceName, String portName)

2)The following mothod is now kind of ambigious form axis2 point of view.
  public ServiceClient(ConfigurationContext configContext, URL wsdlURL,
                         QName wsdlServiceName, String portName)

We have three choises.
a) Add a unambiguating parameter live WSDLVersion
eg:
public ServiceClient(ConfigurationContext configContext, URL wsdlURL,
                         QName wsdlServiceName, String portName, int
wsdlVersion)
This would be easy to implement but would require changes in the API,
which i believe is bad.
b)Use a utility to determine the wsdl version and keep the API as it is.
This would require reading the file twice, may be not so cool if the
URL is a remote host.

c) Keep the current API s intact and add another overloaded constructor
public ServiceClient(ConfigurationContext configContext, URL wsdlURL,
                         QName wsdlServiceName, String portName, int
wsdlVersion)

JAVA2WSDL
Right now we use Axiom to build and serialise the WSDL. We could
either extend this for writing WSDL 2.0 document. The woden currently
has a WSDL 1.1 to WSDL 2.0 converter. I havent tested it but i think
we could use that for immediate usage.

I have done some work on the wsdl2java module and the builders and
could commit it in if this sounds ok.
Hope to produce a deliverable before the 6th June woden Interop.

Thanks

--
Chathura Herath
http://people.apache.org/~chathura/

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Great. I wasn't saying no to new function, just want to make sure we
put it in the right place. So HEAD it is - I look forward to it.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Chathura Herath <ch...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
+1

Way to early to branch 1.1 and 1.0.1.

--
Tom Jordahl
Adobe ColdFusion Team

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 14:44 +0100, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> So to get to the point ... if all/most users are fine with taking a
> new release which contains bug fixes and new function then lets just
> do Woden integration in "HEAD". If we want to cater for users who just
> want bug fixes then we probably need more discussion around branches
> anyway ...

Absolutely +1 for new features and bug fixes; we're nowhere near ready
to say "no more function."

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Mi...@wendys.com.
Speaking as one of the newbies around here, I consider Axis2 to still be a
work in progress.

So far, I am using it for my own education and for a Proof of Concept.
There is a ways to go before I'll consider putting Axis2 in a production
environment.

So, bring on the fixes and the new functionality.

Mike McAngus
Associate Chief Engineer, Enterprise Architecture
Wendy's International, Inc.

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
05/18/2006 09:44 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org, woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Hi, my thoughts behind doing this in scratch are probably based on
some assumptions on how the Axis2 releases will go now that 1.0 has
shipped. So I should probably ignore those assumptions and ask:

what is the strategy behind the type of changes going into the next
release of Axis2?

Some users might want a new release to contain fixes to existing
function only. Some users might want to take all the fixes and new
function. How do we satisfy both sets of users? Do we even have any
users in the first set (fixes only) or is Axis2 only really in the
'early adopter' phase where everyone is happy to take fixes as well as
new function. I apologize if this topic has already been discussed on
axis-dev and I haven't noticed.

On 5/18/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy and all,
>
> I don't see any problem in implementing WSDL 2.0 support directly to the
> current head.
> Just asking, what made you think we should first do this in scratch ?.
>
> IMO, its bit of a mess if we fork from the head and do it in a separate
> place as we have to anyway do some minor refactorings to existing code.
>
> BTW, give me one or two days, I will commit WSDL20ToAxisServiceBuilder
> as soon as I'm done with it. But anyway, I have to wait till Chathura
> gives me the permission. If he had done that already, its not good if I
> commit it before him.
>
> -- Chinthaka
>

> Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> > Hi, the interop event is happening in July [1] at IBM in Toronto.
> >
> > +1 to implementing WSDL 2.0 support in Axis2 with Woden and leaving
> > WSDL 1.1 to WSDL4J.
> >
> > When Woden gains WSDL 1.1 support we can consider removing WSDL4J all
> > together in favour of Woden (if the Axis2 community agree to this of
> > course). I feel we need to be careful where we do this so as not to
> > disrupt the stability of the Axis2 1.0.x stream.
> >
> > One of the objectives (from the Woden user guide [2]) is:
> >
> > * Develop a framework extension mechanism that allows alternative XML
> > parsers to be used to support different usage scenarios and
> > performance requirements, then develop a WSDL parser implementation
> > based on an XML streaming 'pull' parser such as StAX (JSR173).
> >
> > Rather than remove the dependency on DOM, I favour being able to
> > choose which parser paradigm to use - if that's even possible and we
> > certainly haven't proven that! So Woden on StAX or Woden on AXIOM
> > might be possibilities.
> >
> > You mention some code you've been working on
> > (WSDL20ToAxisServiceBuilder) ... is that anywhere in the Axis2 SVN?
> > Howabout we start a branch in Axis2 to focus on the July interop
> > Axis2+Woden integration (unless there other favoured approaches to
> > working on this away from the HEAD) ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jeremy
> >
> > [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Apr/0019.html
> > [2] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/userguide.html
> >
> > On 5/17/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> >> Hi Chathura and all,
> >>
> >> I also looked at Woden M4 recently and started working on integrating
> >> that with Axis2. Its good to know that now you also have time to do
the
> >> same and hope we can do a better one.

> >> I already cleared the path to do this. I renamed
WSDL2AxisServiceBuilder
> >> to WSDL11ToAxisServiceBuilder and created the super class
> >> WSDLToAxisServiceBuilder. I'm half way done with
> >> WSDL20ToAxisServiceBuilder, but if you are already done that, I'm ok
> >> with cleaning up my local changes. Please let me know what to do.
> >> Still there are some hard dependencies in CodeGenerationEngine on
WSDL4J

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 and Woden