Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ka...@simplify-technologies.de on 2004/07/08 15:23:35 UTC

Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

Hello,

I ran into a problem when I set up a new repository and forgot to set the "realm" in the
svnserve.conf file.
The default of this variable (using the path as a realm), leads to an annoying behaviour
of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path changes and so does
the "realm").
But if I was very deep in the checked out directory tree no more authentification was
needed (because the realm is truncated after 49 characters).

So, in my opinion the subversion book should point out, that the "realm" should be set
to an usefull value (or the default of this variable should be changed).

Best regards, Karsten.

Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

Posted by ka...@simplify-technologies.de.
On 8 Jul 2004 at 11:30, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> > I ran into a problem when I set up a new repository and forgot to set the "realm" in the
> > svnserve.conf file.
> > The default of this variable (using the path as a realm), leads to an annoying behaviour
> > of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path changes and so does
> > the "realm").
>
> svnserve.conf says:
>
> #### The default realm
> ### is the path to the repository, relative to the server's repository
> ### root.

Right. So I thought too.

> Why would that value change?  I don't understand.  Can you show us the
> problem?

When I had the problem, my svnserve.conf looked as follows:

[general]
anon-access = none
auth-access = write
password-db = svnuserpasswd

For example, I accessed the repository (lets name it "my_rep") with the client
"svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir" and was prompted for authentification. After
that there was an entry in the local svn.simple directory with the realm string
"<svn://my_serve:3690> my_rep/first_dir".
Second repository access: "svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir/second_dir"
Strangely authentification again, new entry in svn.simple with realm string
"<svn://ganymed:3690> my_rep/first_dir/second_dir"
And so on with accesses to other parts of "my_rep". The realm string changes, it seems
not to  be the constant path to the repository.

If the svnserve.conf contains the line "realm = My Repository" the authentification
process is started only once.

Re: wording nitpick: Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

On 8 Jul 2004 at 12:38, Brian Mathis wrote:

> karsten.krischker@simplify-technologies.de wrote:
> [...]
> > of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path changes and so does
> [...]
>
> "authentification" is not a word and does not mean anything.  I think
> you mean "authentication".

Please forgive me this fault :-), but the German translation for "authentication" is
"Authentifizierung" so I ran into this trap.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Eric Carlson <er...@group-technical.com>.
Maybe its a Bushism?

Posted by Dirk Reckmann <dy...@gmx.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 8. Juli 2004 18:38 schrieb Brian Mathis:
> karsten.krischker@simplify-technologies.de wrote:
> [...]
>
> > of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path
> > changes and so does the "realm").
> > But if I was very deep in the checked out directory tree no more
> > authentification was
>
> [...]
>
> "authentification" is not a word and does not mean anything.  I think
> you mean "authentication".
>
> This isn't targeted directly at you, but since its use is becoming so
> widespread, I feel compelled to point it out.  I think some people use
> it to be cute or something, but its happening so much lately that I'm
> not sure if people know it's not actually a word.

I use it sometimes by mistake, because it is "Authentifizierung" in german,
and "authentification" resembles this most closely in english. So please
forgive us :-)

Ciao,
  Dirk

wording nitpick: Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

Posted by Brian Mathis <bm...@directedge.com>.

--
Brian Mathis
http://directedge.com/