Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Scott Lewis <sl...@composent.com> on 2011/12/29 07:00:01 UTC

column family names

I've noticed when creating column families that the name of the column
family apparently has some restrictions...e.g. the presence of a '.'
character in the column family name seems to throw an exception.  Is
there anywhere articulated the restrictions on column family names (and
keyspace names...if there are any such restrictions).  If so, where?

Thanksinadvance,

Scott

Re: column family names

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
From the help for create column family in the CLI…

- name: Name of the new column family. Names may only contain letters,
  numbers and underscores.

The CF name is used as part of a file name that includes other information and the "-" is used as a separator.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer