Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/04/18 12:10:44 UTC

[VOTE] New name for UIMA TextMarker

Hi,

we are currently looking for a new name for the Apache UIMA TextMarker
system (language and workbench) and invite the UIMA comunity to vote for
a name.
This is not a formal vote. The vote should be cast for one of the
following options, but is not limited to those.

Option 1:
name:                     UIMA-TRL
(full) name:            UIMA Text Rule Language
package identifier: trl

Option 2a:
name:                     UIMA-RUCOLA
(full) name:            UIMA RUle-based, COncise text annotation LAnguage
package identifier: rucola

Option 2b:
name:                     UIMA-RUCOLA
(full) name:            UIMA RUle-COre (text) LAnguage
package identifier: rucola

Option 3:
name:               UIMA-RUCOTALA
(full) name:        UIMA RUle-based, COncise Text Annotation LAnguage
package identifier: rucotala

Please cast your vote(s):
[ ] +1 Option ... is a suitable name
[ ]  0 Don't care for option ...
[ ] -1 Option ... is not OK, because ...

All votes are welcome, but only votes of UIMA PMC members are binding.
Votes with -1 must provide some substantial (e.g. legal) objections.

The previous discussion about possible names can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2811

Best,

Peter

Re: [VOTE] New name for UIMA TextMarker

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
Given that this is now a discussion thread I'll just say I'm glad to see
that UIMA-RUTA seems to be winning. I think (from a Spanish perspective)
that "ruta" fits nicely with finding/matching things within a document.

Jens

[VOTE][CANCELLED] New name for UIMA TextMarker

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
I am cancelling this vote and I will create a new one.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi

On 24.04.2013 09:18, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> UIMA-RUTA isn't too bad either ;)
>
> Btw a funny thing:
>
> "ruta" (spanish) translates to "route", "road".
> TRL could be spoken "trail" which falls into a similar domain.
>
> So I update my votes:
>
>   UIMA-RUTA +1
>   UIMA-RUCOLA +1
>
> with some hope that a name can be found soon. Based on Peter's latest count should result in
>
>   UIMA-RUTA +2
>   UIMA-TRL +1
>   UIMA-RUTAL +1
>   UIMA-RUCOLA +1
>   UIMA-RUCOTALA +1

I haven't specified the "end"-conditions of the vote before. If nobody
disagrees, then the name with the most votes wins (no 50% majority). In
order to allow the others to react, the voting is automatically extended
by 24h, if someone casts or changes his vote.

So, if there are no new votes and nobody changes his vote, then I will
close the vote tomorrow and the name would be UIMA-RUTA.

Can someone please investigate the validity of the name? I did it
already, but two checks are better than one.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi,