Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dana P. Hammond" <d....@larc.nasa.gov> on 2000/11/10 20:22:37 UTC

Automatically reload servlets in WEB-INF/classes?

When I compile and store my classes in .../webpages/WEB-INF/classes,
they work fine. If I make any changes to a class, I must stop and start
tomcat for the changes to be propagated.

My understanding is the the WEB-INF/classes directory will automatically
reload servlets when their class file changes.  Is this true for Solaris with
NetScape?
Is there a setting in tomcat?  [Note, I have tried edit/preferences clear memory

and disk cache; and even shutting down the browser.]

[It is painful to stop/start tomcat on every change.]
TIA -dana-

Re: Automatically reload servlets in WEB-INF/classes?

Posted by Ingo Luetkebohle <in...@blank.pages.de>.
On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 02:22:37PM -0500, Dana P. Hammond wrote:
> When I compile and store my classes in .../webpages/WEB-INF/classes,
> My understanding is the the WEB-INF/classes directory will automatically
> reload servlets when their class file changes.  Is this true for Solaris with
> NetScape?
> Is there a setting in tomcat?  [Note, I have tried edit/preferences clear memory

Every Context has an attribute "reloadable" that can be true or
false. Set it to true and your servlets will be automatically
reloaded. Note: *only* the servlet class itself will be reloaded, not
any classes it depends on. Check the FAQ for an explanation of
possible work-arounds if that should be your problem.

--
	Ingo Luetkebohle / ingo@blank.pages.de / 95428014
/
|PraxisXML Open Source contact; Computational Linguistics
|student; Fargonauten.DE sysadmin; Gimp Registry (not-)maintainer;
\
its easy to stop using Perl: I do it after every project