Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/28 10:24:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] cluster infrastructure - resource manager - for on going tests

Following a discussion I had with Kenneth and Dan here
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/pull/711>. I want to raise the
issue of which resource manager we should use for on going tests that will
run on actual clusters (on top of local/in-mem tests).
If we plan to test all runners on all their supported resource managers,
great! But I guess this won't be the case, at least not at the beginning.

Spark can run it's own (Standalone Mode) resource manager, use YARN or use
Mesos. According to the latest survey
<http://go.databricks.com/hubfs/DataBricks_Surveys_-_Content/Spark-Survey-2015-Infographic.pdf>
by
Databricks Standalone is in the lead (48%), with YARN tailing it
(40%) while Mesos looks like the least favourite.
For Spark, I'd vote for Standalone as it is the most popular use case + it
avoids the additional complexity of maintaining YARN on this cluster.
Having said that, AFAIK Flink is a "first-class" YARN citizen (right ?) and
I don't know what available resource managers can be used by other runners,
so I think runner authors should give their input here.

*Summary:*
*Spark* - StandaloneMode or YARN (in that order).
*Flink * - ?
*Others* - ?

Thanks,
Amit

Re: [DISCUSS] cluster infrastructure - resource manager - for on going tests

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Manu,

It's what I'm doing on my boxes for Spark and Flink as well.
I think it's a very convenient approach.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] cluster infrastructure - resource manager - for on going tests

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.