Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nader Aeinehchi <na...@aeinehchi.com> on 2004/04/20 23:43:28 UTC

Question: Sequence of execution in Merlin

Hello

Within a root container, I managed to start two independent containers, thanks to Merlin.

However, I would very much like to have explicit control over the sequence, namely which container starts first, second,...

Is there anyway to control the sequence of execution?

ps!
An explicit control could be useful for components and services?

Best Regards

--
Nader Aeinehchi
Aasenhagen 66 E

Re: Question: Sequence of execution in Merlin

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 21 April 2004 06:26, Nader Aeinehchi wrote:
> To give some idea, please see the following excerpt from a configuration
> file.

The suggested changes as they stand, are IMO too far from the established
path.

Boot-sequence IMHO, is a 'bad thing' as Merlin's mechanisms are overridden in
damaging ways.

I am not sure what you are striving for and real-life use-cases would always
help. Because this isn't new, but so far all presented use-cases are cases of
incorrect underlying programming and asking for this feature for the wrong
reasons.

Having additional information tied to the component is a different story, and
we can discuss that later.

Niclas

Re: Question: Sequence of execution in Merlin

Posted by Nader Aeinehchi <na...@aeinehchi.com>.
Hi Timothy

I find the implicit dependency control in Merlin fascinating.  As a wish
list, I would very much like to be able to also have the explicit sequencing
control.

To give some idea, please see the following excerpt from a configuration
file.

Few notes about this excerpt:

1. startup: can have values automatic, manual or disabled, just like any
service in Windows or Linux
component/service/container to give user notification
3. name: is more or less equivalent to "type" in Merlin
4. id: is more or less equivalent to "key/source" in Merlin
5. bootSequence: pretty much primitive compared to Merlin's dependency
control, but could be an add-on to Merlin
6. groups: some times components/services like to find each other based on
groups they belong to, just like pc's in a sub-network
7. categories: another meta information that could be useful

Several of the above meta data are optional.

---------------
<container>

 <someTag>
     <id>SomeComponent</id>
     <name>SomeInterface</name>
     <description>XXXXXX</description>
someInterestingCategory</categories>

<className>com.edb.om.client.service.exception.ExceptionService</className>
     <bootSequence>2</bootSequence>
     <groups>default, someInterestingGroup</groups>
 </someTag>

 <someTag>
     <id>SomeOtherComponent</id>
     <name>SomeOtherInterface</name>
     <description>YYYYYYYYYYYYY</description>
     <startup>automatic</startup>
     <categories>default, someBoringCategory</categories>

<className>com.edb.om.client.service.actionmanager.ActionManagerService</cla
ssName>
     <bootSequence>23</bootSequence>
     <groups>default, someBoringGroup</groups>
 </someTag>

</container>

Best Regards

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.