Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Florian Micklich <mi...@apache.org> on 2023/01/05 22:10:52 UTC

loosing track of too many emails about github

Hi,

after moving to GitHub with the discussion and issues, my email inbox is exploding and I am loosing track of important messages.
For example I did not recognise that I was asked something by mentioning my name, just because there are too many emails.

On the one hand it is a good sign of activity.
On the other hand I have way to many emails.

So how do you organise the emails yourself?
I am subscribed to the commits and dev email list.

The Email notification from my GitHub account are separated from this, but still to many as well.

Greetings
Florian

Re: loosing track of too many emails about github

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I think I’m just probably gonna filter the emails with a github prefix.
I almost didn’t notice the Vote thread in-between all of the “comment added” notifications.

Chris

From: Philipp Zehnder <ph...@bytefabrik.ai>
Date: Monday, 9. January 2023 at 07:16
To: dev@streampipes.apache.org <de...@streampipes.apache.org>
Subject: AW: loosing track of too many emails about github
Hi,

I totally agree. It's great that we have so much going on in the project right now, but it's hard to follow up on all the emails.

I think it makes sense to keep PR notifications on the developer list, for those who want to keep track of code changes.
In my email setup, I added a rule to forward all GitHub mail to a subdirectory so I can see if anything has changed but do not have to go through all the mail.
On GitHub, I started using the Notifications tab (https://github.com/notifications) to check all activity. There it is possible to quickly see what has happened in the meantime and navigate directly to PRs, issues, and discussions.

Please share your thoughts and tell what your setup looks like. Hopefully, we can continue to improve the flow of information within the project.

Cheers,
Philipp

Von: Dominik Riemer <do...@bytefabrik.ai>
Datum: Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2023 um 23:31
An: dev@streampipes.apache.org <de...@streampipes.apache.org>
Betreff: RE: loosing track of too many emails about github
Hi,
I think the main reason for the currently high message volume is that we use pull request to a much greater extent.
We are already sending all issue notifications (created and closed issues + issue comments) to issues@streampipes.apache.org, which has only few subscribers.
By looking at asf.yaml configuration options, we could also forward all pull request notifications to the issues list (or a newly created separate list?).
The drawback is that less people would see discussions related to PRs and maybe that's a good way for new users to follow current work, but I agree that it's not easy to follow at the current mail volume.

Cheers
Dominik

AW: loosing track of too many emails about github