Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/11/24 13:24:04 UTC

[VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Some weeks ago I have talked about incubating Apache Repo, a project for
an implementation and feedback of/to repository@apache.org. In the
meantime we have contacted others that we thought would be interested,
and updated the proposal.

This is the final proposal I ask the Incubator Project to vote for
incubation.

                            - # -

Proposal for Repo An Incubator Subproject

(0) rationale

To provide simple tooling to users of the Apache Software Repository
(downloaders, publishers, maintainers).

The Apache Software Repository is a mirrored/human browsable repository
that streamlines the distribution of of Apache Software. The repository
is primarily a user access benefit, yet also a marketing (easier
availability) and resource cost saving to Apache. However, without
tooling to automatically download (and verify) software it is unlikely
that security/integrity requirement are being met, especially on
mirrored servers. This proposal is for tooling that automates/combines
the access and integrity checks makes the Apache Software Repository a
much more viable, and secure, solution.

Tooling needs to be both intelligent and ubiquitous, to make it
significantly more appealing than manually downloading with an HTTP
browser. Providing focused yet intelligent capabilities within the
boundaries of repository tooling, within the standard tools (Ant/IDEs?)
ought negate the reason to not use the tooling. Tooling intelligence
might be "get me the latest 'release quality' of X" or "get me the
artifacts that this project depends upon".

Having Repo done under Apache would also ensure that there is a tight
communication between the developers of tooling to
access/manage/maintain a repository, and the Apache Repository Standard:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository

(1) scope of the subproject

Integrated Tools for automating downloading [with security checks],
publishing (new artifacts) and managing the contents of the apache
repository. Additionally tools for manipulating metadata of said artifacts.

Tooling ought be in the form:

     * Command Line Tools
     * Ant Tasks/AntLibs?
     * APIs
     * GUI plugins (e.g. Eclipse)

(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be populated

Technologies merged from the following:

     * [Greebo]
     * [Ruper2]
     * [Version] -- As needed/appropriate
     * [JJar] -- As needed/appropriate

(3) identify the Jakarta resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list(s) repo-dev, repo-cvs

(3.2) CVS repositories jakarta-repo

(3.3) Bugzilla

(4) identify the initial set of committers

     * Adam Jack (ajack@trysybase.com, ajack@apache.org)
     * Anou Manavalan (anou_mana@hotmail.com, anou_mana@apache.org)
     * Markus M. May (mmay@javafreedom.org)
     * Nick Chalko (nick@chalko.com, nickchalko@apache.org)

[Open to others who wish to collaborate]

     * Geir Magnusson Jr.(geirm@optonline.net) -- External Advisor

(5) identify apache sponsoring individual

Nicola Ken Barozzi (nicola@apache.org)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

[VOTE:RESULT] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
There have counted at least 5 +1s (not counting mine that is ;-)

Therefore I will start the official incubation of Apache Ruper.

This will be the roadmap:

1 - add a status file in the incubator CVS under:
       incubator/site/projects/ruper.cwiki
    that will be published here:
       http://incubator.apache.org/site/projects/ruper.html

2 - add the project to the projects page here:
       incubator/site/projects/index.xml
     that is published here:
       http://incubator.apache.org/site/projects/index.html

3 - follow the items on that list one by one

I have read on this list that there is a will of the Avalon team to
collaborate on this. Well, there is also a will of the Ruper developers
to collaborate too :-)

As soon as the mailing lists are set up and the initial ruper codebases
are in CVS, we can start discussing about it and see what can be done to
migrate Avalon repository stuff to Ruper. Ruper already has two layers,
Version and Ruper proper (we can call it depot as suggested). We can add
a third layer on top for Components. In any case, we'll see later.

Thus I encourage all that are interested in following the advancement of
the incubation of Ruper in greater detail, to sign up to the CVS diffs
of the incubator site to be notified of changes in the incubation status
of Ruper.

    cvs-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Other votes?

+1, generally agreeing with all other comments made so far.

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.
On Nov 26, 2003, at 5:48 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since the "repo" moniker has a bad connotation to some, given that
> this is meant to be an implamantation of the repository effort, and
> since Rupert is too common in google, I change the proposed name to
> Ruper (for what it's worth).
>
> Others have asked to be able to help, so the committers would probably
> be more than the prospected ones.
>
> Till now we have (except Roy's -1 about the name):
>
>  dims +1
>  noel +1

Jim +1

RE: Wonka

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > (Still curious about project Wonka)
> >
> >  http://wonka.acunia.com
> >
> > Open Source JVM under what should be an ASL compatible license.

> Holy shit! That's awesome!

:-)  I thought so.  I've been following it for a while, since it is
embeddable.  But it isn't JRockIt.

I would not object to either or both of those JVMs becoming ASF projects.

	--- Noel

Re: Wonka

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 07:57, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > (Still curious about project Wonka)
>
>   http://wonka.acunia.com
>
> Open Source JVM under what should be an ASL compatible license.

Holy shit! That's awesome!

> 	--- Noel

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Wonka

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
+1

(Still curious about project Wonka)

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
I am fine with calling it Apache Repository .

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Then I'd call it Ruper for now, which is the name of the initially
> proposed codebase, where Ruper = resource updater.

Or in honor of the best competitor on Survivor, ever: Rupert.

	Brian

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> -1: Repo is an American colloquialism that is short for "Repossession",
>     which is not something you want in a distribution tool.  You need
>     to find a neutral name.

Ha, this is the second time I come up with a name that has a "second"
meaning in American. I had already decided to stop giving fancy names to
things to stop this happening, so I simply did repo-sitory->repo, but
it's still not working ;-)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Nov 24, 2003, at 5:29 PM, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>> -1: Repo is an American colloquialism that is short for
>> "Repossession",
>>      which is not something you want in a distribution tool.  You need
>>      to find a neutral name.
>
> Ok, let's put the name as a "to be determined".

"Geronimo" might be free soon... maybe you could use that...

geir@4quarters.com

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Nov 30, 2003, at 8:53 PM, Nick Chalko wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>>> "Depot"
>>

>> +1
>>
> +1   I like it.   The sense of gathering and movement. with a
> Industrial feel.  Nice.

And whoever is in charge can be the "Depot Despot"

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> "Depot"

+1

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
"Depot"

geir@4quarters.com

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Noel wrote:
>

>>+1 if you mean to incubate a particular project, since it seems that you
>>have a set of codebases and a community to start.
>>
>>However, unless it is willing to be more inclusive of other related
>>projects, I don't think that it should be permitted to refer to itself as
>>the Apache Repository project.  It is a single instance of such a client
>>tool.  Mind you, I would like to see collaboration between these projects,
>>Avalon and Maven.
>>

>+1 to all you said.
>
>I wasn't going for the name "Apache Repository" for exactly that reason.
>
>I don't know who in Avalon to speak to,

There are a lot of people doing a bunch of related things.  You have
Alex from the Apache Directory Project (who is also a committer on
Avalon) working on the AvalonRepository Platform - along with myself -
and in sync with that you have Niclas Hedhman who apart from a bunch of
interesting things is working on some Eclispse plugins for the Merlin
product (which is moving towards the defintion of repository enabled)
that ties into generic repository navigation - and then you have the
workk from Andreas Oberhack which can only bne described as exciting -
combining all the right ingridients - just take a look at his roadmap:

      http://www.merlin.softwarefabrik.biz/download/index.htm

And in your in the know ... you will be reaklly tantalized with the
potential relative to Niclas Hedhman direction which pulls the ntion of
repository as interactive resouces closer to the picture.

>I didn't know they had a client [I
>thought just contents/repository]. I'll try to find out.

The main repository work is related to the following facility:

http://avalon.apache.org/repository/

This work is largely a result of a collaboration between the Apache
Directory Project and the Avalon Project based on some mutually
synagistic agendas.  For Avalon we need more server side inteligence on
the repository - meta data on the server is only a small step - instead
we have much bigger plans - inteligent back-end systems that are working
for you.  Thee are lots of layers here - and much of this goes well
beyond the scope of a generic Apache repository - but you can abstract
this as look at the Apache solution as a artifact repository and layer
on that the intelligent solutions.  The above URL is only a small part
of the equation - the bigger picture is all about dynamic peer-to-peer
service management.

For the Eve product (Apache Directory Project) is more focussed on the
questions related to back-office protocols. As we move colser to to
inteligent back-end systems, the need for metadata plus inteligence in
metadata generstion becomes a paramount concen. While the repository@
iniative is focussed on HTTP, the Avalon story is much more about the
"value" between the incoming request and the quality of the responce.
I.e. in pragmatic terms - there is stuff I can do with LDAP at the
back-back-end that has a very significant impact.  As concens
@repository this just means that meta data is not immutable (and that's
a good thing - just in case anyone was wondering).

An if I was a better person I would provide you with all of the names of
al of the people but because I'm not - I'm only going to suggest the
folllowing:

  http://avalon.apache.org/repository/mail-lists.html

>I'm game to collaborate w/ Maven (Wagon, I beleive it is to be called) but
>I'm not sure if there is enough overlap in goals [albeit the concept is
>similar]. I've subscribed to the mailing list,

Me too!

>and am eagerly waiting to see

Me too^2

>code/site 'cos I'm not sure if this is intended as Maven-only or generic. If
>it is generic (1. in terms of environments -- ant tasks, Eclipse/IDE
>plugins, command line tools, 2. in terms of repository contents [not just
>things built by Maven], 3. Metadata -- not just POM) then great, let's
>combine.

It's sill an open qestion. I completely agree - POM is not the end game
- what is interesting is the geneic/cross-community solutions that can
take us up an order of magnitude in terms of scope and reuse - but what
is scary is the abilty to make the jump. Do we have the stuff of heros?

>But, if the goal is Maven-only, it seems rude to try to defocus
>them onto the generic. It'd lower their bar & increase their workload. Heck,
>guess I ought just CC their new mailing list...

Its a question of "where is the bar" and "what is the effort".
My guess is that there is a change in the air!

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
Noel wrote:

> +1 if you mean to incubate a particular project, since it seems that you
> have a set of codebases and a community to start.
>
> However, unless it is willing to be more inclusive of other related
> projects, I don't think that it should be permitted to refer to itself as
> the Apache Repository project.  It is a single instance of such a client
> tool.  Mind you, I would like to see collaboration between these projects,
> Avalon and Maven.

+1 to all you said.

I wasn't going for the name "Apache Repository" for exactly that reason.

I don't know who in Avalon to speak to, I didn't know they had a client [I
thought just contents/repository]. I'll try to find out.

I'm game to collaborate w/ Maven (Wagon, I beleive it is to be called) but
I'm not sure if there is enough overlap in goals [albeit the concept is
similar]. I've subscribed to the mailing list, and am eagerly waiting to see
code/site 'cos I'm not sure if this is intended as Maven-only or generic. If
it is generic (1. in terms of environments -- ant tasks, Eclipse/IDE
plugins, command line tools, 2. in terms of repository contents [not just
things built by Maven], 3. Metadata -- not just POM) then great, let's
combine. But, if the goal is Maven-only, it seems rude to try to defocus

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>+1 if you mean to incubate a particular project, since it seems that you
>have a set of codebases and a community to start.
>
>However, unless it is willing to be more inclusive of other related
>projects, I don't think that it should be permitted to refer to itself as
>the Apache Repository project.  It is a single instance of such a client
>tool.  Mind you, I would like to see collaboration between these projects,
>Avalon and Maven.

There are a couple (or more) people from Avalon who would be keen to get
invoked with a collaborative initiative of kind assuming that we can get
a good broad spectrum of support across Apache projects.

My own interest is coming from the point of view of the Avalon
Repository facility. Avalon's Repository initiative is concerned with
linking together components and repositories to support aggressive
deployment strategies. I've just posted some *very* initial information
up on Apache  at the following address:

  http://avalon.apache.org/repository/about

In addition to what is written there - there is also work on-going
within Avalon in the development of IDE tools/plugins linked to this
facilities, repository management in general, and broader development
interests that tie into the Apache Directory Project's Eve product and
all of that component and service management stuff in Avalon.  If the
initial community is agreeable I would be interested in contributing and
I'm sure there are a couple of other Avalon committers that would want
get involved as well.

Stephen.

--

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote on 25/11/2003 10:37:53 AM:

> +1 if you mean to incubate a particular project, since it seems that you
> have a set of codebases and a community to start.
>
> However, unless it is willing to be more inclusive of other related
> projects, I don't think that it should be permitted to refer to itself
as
> the Apache Repository project.  It is a single instance of such a client
> tool.  Mind you, I would like to see collaboration between these
projects,
> Avalon and Maven.
That sounds awfully like volunteering :-)
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

RE: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Repo

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.