Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2005/09/12 12:58:29 UTC

Small nag for Eclipse

I've noticed that when one works on Cocoon in Eclipse, and at a
certain point issues a "./build.sh clean-dist", Eclipse complains
that its build directory is gone nowhere, and that somehow it can't
re-create it.

I assume this is because the output directory for Eclipse is
somewhere on a three-deep path (build/eclipse/classes), and when
"clean-dist" removes the "build" directory, the baby gets confused.

I change this every time in my "local.build.properties" to be
".eclipse", and that removes the problem, but I was thinking, would
it be all-right to change that in "build.properties" and ship it as
default?

     Pier

Re: Small nag for Eclipse

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I agree with Vadim... Most of the times when I check out projects
> internally here, the "bin" directory is where all my scripts live
> (kinda like ./bin/jetty.sh, blablabla - it's Unix standard).
>
> I personally started using ".eclipse" because it's normally hidden
> from "ls", like ".svn" is and describes exactly what's that for.

Sure, actually I don't care what the name really is - it was just a
thought :) (and everyone can overwrite it using the property anyway...)

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Small nag for Eclipse

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Small nag for Eclipse

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli schrieb:
>
>>I've noticed that when one works on Cocoon in Eclipse, and at a
>>certain point issues a "./build.sh clean-dist", Eclipse complains
>>that its build directory is gone nowhere, and that somehow it can't
>>re-create it.
>>
>>I assume this is because the output directory for Eclipse is
>>somewhere on a three-deep path (build/eclipse/classes), and when
>>"clean-dist" removes the "build" directory, the baby gets confused.
>>
>>I change this every time in my "local.build.properties" to be
>>".eclipse", and that removes the problem, but I was thinking, would
>>it be all-right to change that in "build.properties" and ship it as
>>default?
>>

> If we change this, why can't we simply use the Eclipse default "bin"?

"bin" could be too confusing: that's where scripts usually live. ".eclipse" is
way better in this sense, momentarily giving idea that that's the place where
eclipse crap lives...

Vadim

Re: Small nag for Eclipse

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.