Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Tom Cellucci <tc...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/15 17:50:34 UTC

JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

Hello,

I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from our
Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you have
interest.  Specifically these changes are:

(1) enhanced JMeterMojo that sets up a context class loader based on the
Maven project's test classpath (allows JMeter test classes to exist within
the maven project under test)
(2) a JMeter-TestNG integration that allows TestNG tests to run as part of a
JMeter test (supports ThreadGroup iterations, manages TestNG lifecycle
callbacks, etc)

Please let me know whether you would be interested in contribution of these
changes, and if so, how to proceed.  Thank you,

-Tom

Re: JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

Posted by Norval Hope <nr...@gmail.com>.
I'm also not a JMeter committer but would second the notion that maven
is a PITA, as I've had many runs ins with it in relation to ApacheDS.
It seems to take months to setup up all the publishing side of it, and
I absolutely cannot accept that you need to do a lot of extra
configuration if you want to guarantee the thing you built yesterday
will build the same today (at least I've been told it's possible to
configure it to allow a stable build). To me that is by far the most
crucial aspect of a build system, and auto-downloading of jars etc is
merely a nice to have.

I started out with an open mind about Maven, but now I think it is at
best mis-configured OOTB and at worst a bit misguided.

Also note that changing the source repository has a very bad effect on
people that are maintaining custom patches, like me, as they can no
longer do "svn diffs".

Norval

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 04:28 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 15/07/2008, Tom Cellucci <tc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from our
> >  Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
> >  tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
> >  offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you have
> >  interest.
>
> Thanks!
>
> >  Specifically these changes are:
> >
> >  (1) enhanced JMeterMojo that sets up a context class loader based on the
> >  Maven project's test classpath (allows JMeter test classes to exist within
> >  the maven project under test)
>
> The JMeter project does not currently use Maven and has no Maven
> add-ons, so it would not be easy to maintain/test.
>
> Perhaps your changes could be contributed back to the original
> JMeterMojo authors?

Sebastian

If you ever decide to port JMeter to Maven I will be willing to give you
a helping hand with that. We could still use the existing scripts to
build the distribution packages and generate the web site. It would be
beneficial, though, at least in my opinion, to use Maven to manage
dependencies and compile JMeter.

Oleg

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16/07/2008, Tom Cellucci <tc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have forwarded the request for the CLAs to my client, so hopefully the
>  TestNG code can be contributed soon.

Thanks!

>  As for the Maven plug-in, it was obtained from the JMeter wiki at
>  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterMavenPlugin .  On that page
>  there is a source tarball as well as a pre-built maven plug-in, but nothing
>  in the way of project info.  It appears that the page author's wiki login is
>  'timmccune'; I will try to reach him via e-mail.  Would you know of any way
>  to contact him?  Thanks for any help.

Seems to be part of this:

http://mojo.codehaus.org/chronos-maven-plugin/

Fwd: JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

>  I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from
our
>  Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
>  tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
>  offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you
have
>  interest.

Thanks!

>  Specifically these changes are:
>
>  (1) enhanced JMeterMojo that sets up a context class loader based on the
>  Maven project's test classpath (allows JMeter test classes to exist
within
>  the maven project under test)

The JMeter project does not currently use Maven and has no Maven
add-ons, so it would not be easy to maintain/test.

Perhaps your changes could be contributed back to the original
JMeterMojo authors?

>  (2) a JMeter-TestNG integration that allows TestNG tests to run as part
of a
>  JMeter test (supports ThreadGroup iterations, manages TestNG lifecycle
>  callbacks, etc)

This does sound like a useful addition to JMeter - there is already a
JUnit sampler.

>  Please let me know whether you would be interested in contribution of
these
>  changes, and if so, how to proceed.  Thank you,

Yes, we would be interested in the JMeter-TestNG addition.

I assume this is a reasonably substantial piece of code, so it would
be useful if the contributor(s) could provide CLAs:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

The code itself can be provided as an attachment to a Bugzilla issue.
Please ensure that the appropriate Apache License headers are present
in all source files.

Thanks!

>  -Tom

Thomas A. Cellucci
Skill Corporation
440.360.0165

Re: JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15/07/2008, Tom Cellucci <tc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from our
>  Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
>  tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
>  offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you have
>  interest.

Thanks!

Posted by Sascha Hofer <sa...@systema.info>.

Tom Cellucci wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from our
> Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
> tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
> offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you
> have
> interest.  Specifically these changes are:
>
> (1) enhanced JMeterMojo that sets up a context class loader based on the
> Maven project's test classpath (allows JMeter test classes to exist within
> the maven project under test)
> (2) a JMeter-TestNG integration that allows TestNG tests to run as part of
> JMeter test (supports ThreadGroup iterations, manages TestNG lifecycle
> callbacks, etc)
>
> Please let me know whether you would be interested in contribution of
> these
> changes, and if so, how to proceed.  Thank you,
>
> -Tom

What's the current state of these changes - I'm very interested in the
JMeter-TestNG integration and your enhancement of the JMeterMojo?

Re: JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/10/2008, Sascha Hofer <sa...@systema.info> wrote:

>  Tom Cellucci wrote:
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I was recently working on a project where we wanted to run JMeter from our
>  > Maven build process.  At that time we installed the existing JMeterMojo,
>  > tried it, and ended up making a few changes.  My client has graciously
>  > offered to contribute these changes back to the JMeter project, if you
>  > have
>  > interest.  Specifically these changes are:
>  >
>  > (1) enhanced JMeterMojo that sets up a context class loader based on the
>  > Maven project's test classpath (allows JMeter test classes to exist within
>  > the maven project under test)
>  > (2) a JMeter-TestNG integration that allows TestNG tests to run as part of
>  > a
>  > JMeter test (supports ThreadGroup iterations, manages TestNG lifecycle
>  > callbacks, etc)
>  >
>  > Please let me know whether you would be interested in contribution of
>  > these
>  > changes, and if so, how to proceed.  Thank you,
>  >
>  > -Tom
>  >
>  >

> What's the current state of these changes - I'm very interested in the
>  JMeter-TestNG integration and your enhancement of the JMeterMojo?

I'm not aware of any Bugzilla enhancements relating to TestNG integration.

Perhaps you could try contacting the orginal poster.

Re: JMeter Maven and JMeter TestNG contribution

Posted by Sascha Hofer <sa...@systema.info>.