Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/18 06:28:16 UTC

Apache Flex download statistics

Currently, there is a page maintained by an Apache volunteer that tracks
downloads across various projects [1]  But it looks like Flex is not being
tracked yet.

Alternatively, I can create a Google Analytics account (free) for Apache
Flex and we can track not only download statistics, but other statistics as
well.  What do folks think about this idea?

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/index.html

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Also, the ASF is a US corporation, so EU directives might not be
> relevant to our websites (IANAL etc - just trying common sense ;-)

My understanding the directive can applied to sites not hosted in the EU but again there's debate on that. IMO having a privacy policy (and a means to opt out) should hopefully cover all bases. Law and common sense are often strangers. :-)

Justin

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> ...I'm certainly not a lawyer but after thinking about the EU ePrivacy directive I though it would be enough to just have a privacy policy...

Also, the ASF is a US corporation, so EU directives might not be
relevant to our websites (IANAL etc - just trying common sense ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I'm certainly not a lawyer but after thinking about the EU ePrivacy directive I though it would be enough to just have a privacy policy and explicitly state we use google analytics as we're only collecting anonymous data. There does seem to be a number of differing opinions out there regarding this.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

To cover all bases on the privacy page I'd also include a link to the opt out plug in:
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

We may also note down/do something re the newish EU cookie law/ePrivacy directive ie explicitly allow people to opt out.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...Who should I ask if this it is okay for us to embed GA scripts on the
> site?...
>
> Using Google Analytics is ok if the PMC agrees to do that but the site
> needs to make this explicit, stats need IMO to be shared with the PMC
> (not sure if google terms allow the project to make them public, I
> remember seeing discussions about that) and the analytics account
> credentials must be shared with the PMC (for example under
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/ )
>
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/privacy-policy.html is a good example of
> making analytics explicit on the project website.
>
> -Bertrand

Thanks Bertrand!  I will start a [VOTE] thread soon.

Nick,

It looks like we have an answer.  I have created a JIRA ticket to track
this issue [1]  Do you want me to create a Google Analytics account and set
it up for you?  Please let me know how I can help with integrating it into
our website.

Thanks,
Om

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33361

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
If somebody wants to ask the higher-ups at Apache if this is ok, I can put
it in the new site.

Sorry I haven't been around this last week -- we had two major issues at
work that made me work a few 24 hour shifts, then I was out of the count
with migraines (image that!) for the latter half of the week.

-Nick

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

If you need precedence CouchDB uses google analytics - but only for the web site not the download page (which is on th wiki).

http://couchdb.apache.org

Justin

Re: Apache Flex download statistics

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.