Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Krassimir Kostov <kk...@hotmail.com> on 2012/01/31 03:29:51 UTC

Cassandra and SQL DB Integration?

Hello All,

I posted these questions to the Users Mailing List, but perhaps they may be more suitable for the Developers Mailing List.

Background: I am working on a project, for which I have to evaluate and recommend the implementation of a new storage DBMS, which will interact heavily with the following 3 SQL DB based environments:

(1) A data mining application (IBM SPSS Modeler) that imports/exports data from/to an SQL DB
(2) A partner platform, based on an Oracle DB (CSV data import/export)
(3) Various client SQL DBs, whose data elements will be replicated and uploaded in the recommended DBMS

I am planning to recommend the implementation of Cassandra, hosted on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), primarily due to its scalability and the "DB as a Service" provided by the host.  Probably, the biggest challenge in terms of development and data model architecture will come from 3 above, since we need to custom-build and replicate each client's SQL data schema before implementing it in Cassandra, thus changing the data model from SQL to NoSQL.

With the above 3 requirements in mind, from your experience:

(1) Is it a good idea to use Cassandra as a storage solution for SQL data, converted to the NoSQL data model just to be stored on Cassandra?
(2) Do you know of any similar cases of using Cassandra as a storage, which supports SQL data applications, or perhaps data model architecture differences and high development costs make no sense for this?
(3) If using Cassandra as a storage, which supports SQL data applications, is not a good idea, could you recommend an alternative SQL cloud DB solution that has good scalability?

Thanks and regards,

Krassimir Kostov

Re: Cassandra and SQL DB Integration?

Posted by Himanshu Kumar Das <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Even I am also have same question can anybody answer to Krassimir Kostov

thnks

regards
Himanshu K Das