Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Tom Ray [Lists]" <li...@blazestudios.com> on 2006/09/06 06:31:31 UTC

[users@httpd] I believe I've been compromised.

I'm running a SuSE 9.1 server with Apache 2.0.58 and as of last Thursday
I'm seeing a ton of files created in spots they should be. All created
by wwwrun (the webserver). I'm finding PHP scripts that are blatantly
commented with hacker code, _vti_ directories in sites and this server
doesn't have FP running on it. Cron jobs owned by wwwrun created and I
can see my maching connected to a strange IP on port 22 which is telling
me that my machine has opened a ssh connection with their server.

I'm seeing files that execute PHP Shell 1.7 which allows them to execute
commands via a form.

Has anyone ever run into this kind of problem? I've never really been
hacked like this before and I keep thinking I have it cleaned up but it
doesn't appear that way. One script had this in it: Powered By
#KARTUBEBEN CrEW @ DALnet

I know this maybe be a bit OT but any thoughts or suggestions would be
greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] I believe I've been compromised.

Posted by "Tom Ray [Lists]" <li...@blazestudios.com>.
Thanks! I spent most of my weekend getting it cleaned up, I found about
5 or so bad files in about a half dozen sites, all created by wwwrun and
only in directories that where set to 777 by the clients. Just for
everyone's sake I'm going to post them here.

These I found floating on their own in not all but most of the 777
directories:
ch99.php
mail.php (actually was the ch99.php script)
about.php (same thing)
faq.php (same thing)

Pretty nice since I ended up looking at EVERY copy of about.php,
mail.php, and faq,php on the server. It was real fun since I have a lot
of clients using ZenCart which has all those files.

What I found in every one of the half dozen sites:
_vti_inf.jpg (This was a directory)
_vti_inf.php (inside the directory)
file.php (inside the directory)

ch99.php appeared to be some IRC bot drop. file.php was a form that
allowed file uploading and command lines to be issued. _vti_inf.php was
a mass email form allowing attachments. Once all those files where
cleaned up and I restarted the server yesterday, everything has been
AOK. All unwanted connections to port 22 on foreign IPs have stopped, no
more connections to 6667 or anything out of the ordinary. Plus I was
seeing weird commands being issued when I did a 'ps -ef' until last I
did this last night.

I do have one question though, I see this when I do a netstat -n can
someone tell me what this means?

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q    Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0          0             ::1:34458
::1:80                  TIME_WAIT
tcp        0          0             ::1:34459
::1:80                  TIME_WAIT

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Posted by Jeff Pollard <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.