Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Elaine Cario <et...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/09 00:06:26 UTC

Re: SOLR Performance on RHEL 7

I'm late to the dance but FWIW, we also experienced some similar swap-like
issues when we upgraded from Centos 7.6 to Centos 7.9 (this was Solr 8.3) -
some of the Solr nodes would end up reading from disk like crazy, and query
response times would suffer accordingly.  At one point we had 1/2 the nodes
(with 1 set of replicas) on 7.6 and the other 1/2 (with 2nd replicas) on
7.9, and could see disk reads and io waits an order of magnitude higher on
7.9, with all other things being equal.

We never really solved it: after countless weeks of testing
various configurations, we threw up our hands and started migrating
everything to Amazon Linux 2 (there were other reasons for that, but this
was a definite driver).  We also have some servers still hosting RedHat
Enterprise 7.9 so far without issues but these are also slated for
migration in the coming weeks.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@qflow.com>.
Elaine,

Thanks for the feedback. That's troubling to hear that your issues with
SOLR and RHEL 7 weren' resolved..... Perhaps I should pursue an alternate
O/S as well if needed

I finally got the customer to add the 64Gb SDD swap volume. Strange thing
is with both the O/S tools and a Grafana node exporter running I don't see
any usage of swap at all. Because all storage was switched to SSD and I
just brought the RHEL 7 node into the cluster and I don't know if I have a
fix yet.

I appreciate the similarities.. Tomorrow will tell the tale pretty quickly.