Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/07 19:38:01 UTC

Schema issues

I was collecting the different schema files used by Geronimo to
publish them on a web site and I noticed one thing with the
plugins-1.2 xsd. First, it imports attributes-1.1.xsd and not
attributes-1.2.xsd. And that's fine. That's what 2.0.1 came out with.
But in trunk the plugins-1.2.xsd was updated to import
attributes-1.2.xsd. I don't think that is right as it will break
compatibility. I think we should create plugins-1.3.xsd (with -1.3
namespace) which then can import the attributes-1.2.xsd (and switch
the plugins-1.2.xsd to the version in branches/2.0).

I also validated the rest of the .xsd files and for the most part they
validate ok. A few of them ( geronimo-web-2.0.xsd,
geronimo-jetty-2.0.xsd, and geronimo-tomcat-2.0.xsd) import
persistence-1.0.xsd as a local file. I can't find that file anywhere
in Geronimo. Should I update these Geronimo .xsd files to refer to
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd or should
we pull it in locally?

Jarek

Re: Schema issues

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
> > I was collecting the different schema files used by Geronimo to
> > publish them on a web site and I noticed one thing with the
> > plugins-1.2 xsd. First, it imports attributes-1.1.xsd and not
> > attributes-1.2.xsd. And that's fine. That's what 2.0.1 came out with.
> > But in trunk the plugins-1.2.xsd was updated to import
> > attributes-1.2.xsd. I don't think that is right as it will break
> > compatibility. I think we should create plugins-1.3.xsd (with -1.3
> > namespace) which then can import the attributes-1.2.xsd (and switch
> > the plugins-1.2.xsd to the version in branches/2.0).
>
> I guess I didn't notice that 2.0.1 was going out with something
> called plugins-1.2 when I started working on GERONIMO-3330 which also
> included a rather different plugins-1.2.  I'll see about renaming the
> file in trunk to plugins-1.3 although it might take me a few days.

I see you already took care of it. Thanks!

> > I also validated the rest of the .xsd files and for the most part they
> > validate ok. A few of them ( geronimo-web-2.0.xsd,
> > geronimo-jetty-2.0.xsd, and geronimo-tomcat-2.0.xsd) import
> > persistence-1.0.xsd as a local file. I can't find that file anywhere
> > in Geronimo. Should I update these Geronimo .xsd files to refer to
> > http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd or should
> > we pull it in locally?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "refer to..." but either one is fine
> with me as long as I don't have to deal with any questions about
> whether CDDL licensed source files can be in apache svn.  It looks
> like the current draft of the 3rd party licensing policy would allow
> us to include a cddl licensed persistence_1_0.xsd:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html
>
> redirected from http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

By refer, I meant changing the schemaLocation to
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd which will
cause the schema file to be pulled from Sun's site.

I'll go ahead and update the schemaLocation unless somebody objects first.

Jarek

Re: Schema issues

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 7, 2007, at 4:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
>> I was collecting the different schema files used by Geronimo to
>> publish them on a web site and I noticed one thing with the
>> plugins-1.2 xsd. First, it imports attributes-1.1.xsd and not
>> attributes-1.2.xsd. And that's fine. That's what 2.0.1 came out with.
>> But in trunk the plugins-1.2.xsd was updated to import
>> attributes-1.2.xsd. I don't think that is right as it will break
>> compatibility. I think we should create plugins-1.3.xsd (with -1.3
>> namespace) which then can import the attributes-1.2.xsd (and switch
>> the plugins-1.2.xsd to the version in branches/2.0).
>
> I guess I didn't notice that 2.0.1 was going out with something
> called plugins-1.2 when I started working on GERONIMO-3330 which
> also included a rather different plugins-1.2.  I'll see about
> renaming the file in trunk to plugins-1.3 although it might take me
> a few days.

I think I fixed this... hopefully without breaking everything.

david jencks

Re: Schema issues

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.